Author Topic: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!  (Read 10732 times)

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:14 GMT (UK) »
If I have the correct record !!
1851 census has a Thomas Lea birthplace Kermingham  ???
HO107 Piece 1806 Folio 584 Page 11

I wonder if it could be "Kirmincham" which was a parish in Swettenham.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ez8/

great minds - ahead of you - see earlier post   :P

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Birthplace given in 1861 Census: looks like Hermageham, Cheshire. Help, please!
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I didn't see that ,
Maybe you added it whilst I was posting my reply ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:25 GMT (UK) »
twas ages ago !   :P

I cant find that 1851 using Findmypast - shame one cant go directly to it using the PIECE/FOLIO etc like you can on Ancestry .....  :(

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Try using a birth date of 1827 and living in Great Yarmouth
 Sarah Ann transcribed as Saraham

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:45 GMT (UK) »
ah - yes, thats got 'im... sadly FindMyPast havent fully transcribed his PoB ...... still, for £1 for a months access to Census, cant grumble I guess !

Ta for your help  :)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Goodness me, everyone!
Was just doing something else for a couple of hours, and the debate has been flourishing on here meanwhile..
I'm not entirely clear still, though, which is the most likely place of birth after all this excellent discussion.
But I do know that the LEA family were mistranscribed as SEA, living in St John's Rd. Ely, Cambs in the 1881 Census.
I started off this hunt trying to find the Thomas LEA (junior!) who was born in Ely some time in the 1850's - in the 1871 Census he says he's 19 years old (living with the family of the woman he would marry in 1878, Rebecca BETTS. Whereas in 1881 he's only progresses to being 24.  I think he was pretending to be older than he actually was in 1871 to impress his future in-laws, and perhaps Rebecca herself!
Just wanted to follow things backwards to his father, the Thomas LEA, born in c1824 in that puzzle name in Cheshire!
Keith

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 19 March 15 14:56 GMT (UK) »
...and now having had a longer, more studied look at all these lovely replies, I think I'd like to think that post 5 by Maggsie, giving Swettenham as the birthplace, particularly with that 1823 baptism for Thomas and parents' names given is the most likely solution.  Or have I misinterpreted things?
Keith

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 19 March 15 15:05 GMT (UK) »
The baptism at Swettenham 28 Sept 1823 is for a Thomas Newton Lea,
Father William occ Miller
Mother Ann
Residence Brereton

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 March 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »
The 1851/61/71 all point to it being the Kermincham/Kermingham area of Swettenham.

Meanwhile, I've decided that FindMyPast is useless - cant find the Family in 1881 Ely at all !