Author Topic: WILLIAM JACKSON of Harrogate (1839-1894) - wine & spirits merchant  (Read 4806 times)

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM JACKSON of Harrogate (1839-1894) - wine & spirits merchant
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 March 15 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a subscription to Findmypast?  You can access The Newspaper Archives through them. If you don't you can join for 10 quid a month. Sometime they do it for 1.  It's definitely worth the money. Sunderland Daily Echo and Shipping Gazette, 11 June 1894.
The interment of the remains of the late councillor, William Jackson of Sunderland, and Elmwood, Harrogate, took place at the Harrogate Cemetery on Saturday. The morning opened with a drizzling rain, which continued throughout the day. The cortege left the residence of the deceased and proceeded to Christ Church, where an impressive service was conducted by the vicar, the Rev. R.W. Fawkes. Along the route of the procession there were signs of regret at the death of one so generous, and blinds were closely drawn in many instances as a token of the respect and esteem in which the deceased gentleman was held. The remains of the deceased were met at the entrance to the church by the Rev. R. W. Fawkes and the boys of the choir. During the service the hymn  'The saints of God, their conflict past' was sung. The solemn ceremony being ended at the church, the mournful procession proceeded to Harrogate Cemetery. Notwithstanding, the inclement state of the weather, there was a large attendance of the friends of the deceased. The freemasons (of whom the deceased was a member) and various social and athletic clubs were represented, and several of the gentry in the town sent their carriages. Amongst those present were Mr. J. J. Bell, Councillors Henderson, Short, Burlinson, Messrs R S Rownthwaite (surveyor), C W P  Barker (Clerk to the Sunderland magistrates), George Andrews, J J Bain (Secretary of the Licensed Victuallers), and G Carver (vice president of the Licensed Victuallers, Sunderland). The chief mourners were Messrs A Jackson, W Jackson, T A Page, G R Bagnall, P Wilson, Halfnight, F M Bowey (town clerk of Sunderland), Andrews, Hall, Haggart,  Harrison and Page. There were about 30 mourning coaches, &c., and the floral tributes were numerous and costly, three of the carriages being filled with wreathes, &c. Mr J Checkley, Harrogate, was undertaker.
All the licensed properties owned by the late Coun. Jackson in Sunderland, Shields and Newcastle, and the chief offices in John Street, the Grand Hotel, Bridge Street, being the only exception, were closed on Saturday and the blinds lowered, in consequence of the funeral. A number of representative gentlemen left the Central Railway Station on Saturday morning in order to attend the interment of the deceased.

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 March 15 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much Middlesbrough.
I don't subscribe to FindMyPast; only to Ancestry.com and MyHeritage (limited access).

Do you mean Findmypast offers subscription for £1 a month occasionally or Newspaper Archives?
Is there just a British Newspaper Archive site?

I have used Welsh Newspapers online and I realise how much info one can find.

I've attached a photograph of William with friends and family in the 1890s I think.

Richard
RPJ
Jones Thomas Dickinson Paulsen Olsen Jackson Laidler Ramage Brown

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 March 15 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Both do, but as you are aware Findmypast has so many records available which includes Newspaper archives, that's why I subscribe to them and not Ancestry. I think Newspaper Archives is about the same price as Findmypast. It is well worth the money (Findmypast). I have found out so much more about my family through these newspapers. Love the photo and Harrogate is such a beautiful place.

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 March 15 03:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tips.   :)

That last article alone confirmed for me that William's sister married a William Haggart. I suspect it was this Mr Haggart who attended the funeral.

My dear aunt wrote on or under many of our old photos .... and I'm pleased she did.

I'm still looking for the death record of May Kitchin née Jackson in the 1970s.

Richard
RPJ

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 March 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Death of May Kitchin
Birth date:  23 May 1888
Date of Registration: Dec Qtr 1978
Registration District: Claro
County: North Yorkshire
Vol 2 Page 2120
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 March 15 13:39 GMT (UK) »
You can subscribe to The British Newspaper Archive for £9.95 a month, but be sure to go to your account before the end of the month to cancel the sub, or it will continue.  One month is more than enough time to search for the newspaper articles - I find their site easier to negotiate than FindMyPast.

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 March 15 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you LizzieW for your tips.

... and thanks to Goughy for that record. I had seen the 1978 record before, but the birth record I found for May was registered in the SEPT quarter of 1887. It's probably her.

Richard
RPJ

Offline Goughy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 March 15 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Had a quick look at the National Probate Calendar to see if an address was given for you to match the death to, unfortunately not, May was in a Nursing Home it reads:

KITCHEN May of Cavendish Nursing Home 17 Cavendish Ave Harrogate died 23 December 1978 Administration Leeds 1 May £46212

I think this will be her, and as a comment to the date of birth on the death GRO, parents have up to 6 weeks to register a birth, so it is quite feasible her birth is registered in the Sept Qtr.  As to the year, it would depend on who registered her death, they may have just got the wrong year. 

Goughy
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Interests:  Johnson/Knight/Talbot (Caunton/Maplebeck); Camm/Ramskar (Sheffield); Sarginson/King/Fletcher/Lowther (Howden); Silversides/Tomlinson (Riccall); Atkinson (Selby)

Offline rkive82

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 March 15 05:44 GMT (UK) »
Seems likely to me too.   ;)
Thanks Goughy.
RPJ