Author Topic: Sykes family of Vale Cottage, Michelhurst, Yorkshire, England  (Read 5729 times)

Offline brassbounder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Sykes family of Vale Cottage, Michelhurst, Yorkshire, England
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 21:17 BST (UK) »
Jean,

We meet again!

Mossley became a county borough very early on (1870s?) because three counties, Yorkshire, Cheshire and Lancashire, met in the middle of the town, making it awkward for administrative purposes. Even today the town is split into three wards named for the counties.

There was another change when the county boundaries were re-organised in the 1970s and Mossley became part of Tameside.

Friezland (east of Mossley) was in the West Riding until the later change, i.e. not then part of Mossley.

Micklehurst is part of Mossley (in fact I believe it's the oldest part) and was therefore in Lancashire between 1870 and 1970, although I believe it could have been in Cheshire before that, since it's south of Mossley.

Jon
Armitage-Smith Meanwood Leeds
Whitehead-Holroyd Farnley/Wortley/Armley Leeds

Census information is Crown Copyright, transcribed by me.

Offline HH

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
I have Sykes in West Yorkshire in the Golcar area, but much earlier, still, there could be a connection. A great source of information has been Steve Whitwam. Have you been in touch with him at all? Try him at Moderator has removed email address to stop spam
Good luck!  HH
Hine, Algar, Dyble, Kettle- Devon
Kingett, Bishop, Elt, Jenkins, Wheeler- Worcs.
Crabb, Carder, Levens- Surrey
Senior, Shaw, Schofield, Randerson, Crowther, Whitwam, Walker, Stott, Dawson, Sykes, Blackburn, Leech- W.Yorks.
Baldry, Cole, Borrett, Brabbon, Eastaugh- Suffolk
Evans, Jones, Davies, Rees- Llandilo
Nye, Beer- Kent
Sippitt, Clark- Essex
Longmuir, Wishart, Kennedy, Cumming, Ronaldson, Crocket, Hood- Scotland
Mather- Northumberland

Offline Jean Mayo

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jon,
   That was an excellent explanation. Thank you very much for taking the time to type that to me. So, Vale Cottage then was part of Micklehurst, which was part of Mossley?
               Jean.

Offline Jean Mayo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, HH. I'll get in touch with that person right away. Thanks for referring me to him. Have a good day.
          Jean.

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 July 05 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

1861 Census -  Swallow Lane Golcar

Found this John Sykes born 1857 Golcar with a father called James, but at this point this James has a wife called Nancy.

James is down as a Woolen Handloom Weaver

James Sykes abt 1827  Slaithwaite, Yorkshire, England Head  Golcar  Yorkshire   

Nancy Sykes abt 1830  Golcar, Yorkshire, England Wife  Golcar  Yorkshire   

Mary E T Sykes abt 1854  Golcar, Yorkshire, England Daughter  Golcar  Yorkshire   

John Sykes abt 1857  Golcar, Yorkshire, England Son  Golcar  Yorkshire   

Joseph T Sykes abt 1860  Golcar, Yorkshire, England Son  Golcar  Yorkshire   

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Jean Mayo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 July 05 00:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Wendy. I'll . information for future reference, but everything on this side of the ocean says that John Sykes, b.c. 1857 in Golcar, was son of John Sykes and mother unknown. I do know that John Sykes, b.c. 1857 in Golcar, had an uncle named Benjamin Sykes, who was born in Honley in 1821-23, parents as yet unknown. He was in Dean House, Honley in the 1851 census, and in Saddleworth in the 1861 and 1871 census...he was deceased before the 1881 census. His nephew, John Sykes, b.c. 1857 in Golcar, s/o John Sykes, was in Saddleworth by the 1881 census and was there in 1891. By 1900 he was in Mossley when his wife, Isabella, died there, and in the 1901 census. In 1906 he took his children to New Bedford, MA., USA. I think the key to the father of John Sykes, b.c. 1857 in Golcar, is by tracing back his uncle, Benjamin Sykes in Honley. Thanks again for the information. I appreciate your kindness.
                   Jean Mayo