Author Topic: Went to Borneo on a plantation  (Read 913 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Went to Borneo on a plantation
« on: Wednesday 06 July 05 16:02 BST (UK) »
My Mum's (half) uncle Frederick Aldous wnt to Borneo to work on Plantations - would there be any records anywhere?
A longshot I know

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Ken_from_Wisbech

• RootsChat Senior
  • GPs - Annie (Pardoe) and Harry Brawn Edwards
    • View Profile
Re: Went to Borneo on a plantation
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 05 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't know where to send you for records, but served in Borneo in the early 60's and the main plantations out there, were rubber.  A lot of timber was felled out there too, but I should think it would be harder to find any records for timber cutters..

I think I would try the main rubber companies and see if they could help.  You never know, they may have archives and they got most of their latex from that part of the world.

HTH

Ken.
Drake, Blackhall, Roney, Lovell.  Parry, Edwards,  Pardoe, Braun/Brawn/Bryan, all in Bethnal Green, Stepney, Whitechapel, Mile End, Tottenham, Palmers Green and Edmonton area.

http://www.wisbech-town.co.uk

Also a member of the East of London and Fenland  Family History Societies

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Went to Borneo on a plantation
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 August 05 08:51 BST (UK) »
bob i think kens right with the first suggestion,it will be a rubber plantation,thats why the japs invaded borneo in ww2,they were after the rubber,depending on what period you are talking about,there may be records in places you wouldnt think of,like in ww1 records,there were units like the ceylon tea planters,and other unusual units formed from all sorts of plantations,mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.