Author Topic: margaret graham,s dad ?  (Read 10442 times)

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
margaret graham,s dad ?
« on: Sunday 22 March 15 12:55 GMT (UK) »
i have a marriage cerificate for my gr gran margaret graham in 18th jan 1879 which say full age her dad was john william graham dec stain glass maker , the only birth i could find for margaret was feb 1848 newcastle i bought the certificat but it says father as just william painter and glazier , i also found a baptisim for who i thought was margarets dad in 1806 but again it just says william no john all this was in newcastle have i got her father wrong should i be looking for john william,s baptisim because i cant find it  ???

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: margaret graham,s dad ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 March 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
You may be on the right track, but it's always important to work from the known to the unknown, and not to try to jump too many steps at once. It seems to me that either you need to find out more in order to make a judgement, or if you've already done that, you need to tell us so that we can advise better!

i have a marriage cerificate for my gr gran margaret graham in 18th jan 1879 which say full age her dad was john william graham dec stain glass maker , the only birth i could find for margaret was feb 1848 newcastle i bought the certificat but it says father as just william painter and glazier

The occupation for (John) William sounds right, and people did sometimes use extra names, or not admit to ones that they had. However, keep in mind what you know or can find out about Margaret: was her age given on her marriage certificate? What was her age in the various censuses, and crucially, how did her father appear in the censuses?

i also found a baptisim for who i thought was margarets dad in 1806 but again it just says william no john all this was in newcastle have i got her father wrong should i be looking for john william,s baptisim because i cant find it  ???

Again, what do censuses say about him? Age? William or John William? Also, what do censuses say about Margaret's mother? That should help you to find their marriage, and as long as that was after 1837, it should give (John) William's father's name, which will be something else you can use in evaluating the 1806 baptism.

As always, little steps: first find out more about Margaret to help you work out if the 1848 birth is right, then find out more about her father to do the same for the 1806 baptism.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 March 15 14:01 GMT (UK) »
i have marriage in 1879 which i know is correct as her husband is correct  ages as full father named as john william graham
the only census i can find margaret is in 1851 schedule 179 piece 2404 folio 79 page 39 and her father is just william cant find her in 1861 or 1871 but have her with husband now named hutchinson and right through to her death in 1931 and age corresponds to being born 1848 in the census i found her in the birth cerificate i bought has her as 1848 and father just william , i looked for williams birth and his baptisim was just william i can not find anything else

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 March 15 14:55 GMT (UK) »
 Wonder  if this  is  Margaret  in 1861 ,  seems to   be with 2 younger siblings.

Class: RG 9; Piece: 3719; Folio: 10; Page: 15

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 March 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »
i cant find it ... all i can find is a margaret in a workhouse

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 March 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
was she still in newcastle and her sibblings were isabella , edward , alice ,william ,elizabeth and mary ann , margaret was the youngest

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 March 15 15:14 GMT (UK) »
i cant find it ... all i can find is a margaret in a workhouse

Think that's the  one  I   mean  in my post ,      down as a Pauper ,   birthplace  unknown   William and Maria are the  other  Graham  children   with her ,     Though with the  older siblings  Margaret was with in  1851 ,  I'm surprised that   none  of them took her  in .     Checking the  older  siblings  in 1861/71  census  may help in finding Margaret ,    as  the Workhouse one  may be incorrect 

Offline oldhippyone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 March 15 15:21 GMT (UK) »
i cant find the one you have mentioned its not the same as the one i found as her birth place was newcastle along with a few other grahams but the other grahams didnt conect with mine

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 March 15 17:31 GMT (UK) »
There's another possible 1861 entry in the Newcastle workhouse: RG9/3817 fo80 p22 listed next to a Hannah Graham aged 9. Since the other one was in Barnard Castle, this one might possibly be more likely.

However, although ultimately it would be important to find census entries so as to get the complete picture and to corroborate as much as possible, there are other things that can be done.

If, for example, Margaret's father died when she was young, she may not have known exactly what his name was, hence "John William" on her marriage certificate when he might have been just William. Being orphaned could also explain her being in a workhouse in 1861, if that is her. Who were the witnesses at Margaret's marriage? They might provide useful clues.

Also, from Margaret's birth certificate, what was her mother's full and maiden name? That should help in tracking down Margaret's parents' marriage, which might then help in pinning down exactly who her father was and when he was born. If the Elizabeth who is wife in the 1851 census was William's first/only wife, it looks as though the marriage might have been around 1825-1830; this means there won't be a certificate, only a parish register entry, but that's better than nothing. And at least with children born after 1837 we can be reasonably sure of finding the right marriage because of having Margaret's mother's maiden name.

Arthur
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk