Author Topic: Geelong 1856-58  (Read 5605 times)

Online Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Geelong 1856-58
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 March 15 23:24 GMT (UK) »

I don't think it means that as says CHILD born 1858:

Victoria outward passenger lists 1852-1915 Transcription
First name(s)
Children With

Last name
Stanaway

Birth year

Departure year

Departure month
Mar

Destination
San Francisco, United States

Ship name
Lucy L Hale

Ship's master
Lull William

State
Victoria

Record set
Victoria outward passenger lists 1852-1915

Category
Travel & migration

Subcategory
Passenger lists

Collections from
Australasia

Passenger list  transcription from genealogical site FIND MY PAST.

Online Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 March 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cando and Judb,
Thanks so much for this information! The passenger list is a great find. Yes, you have the family correct. They immigrated to Canada, then Wisconsin and finally to California. James was married before so it is an interesting idea that he may have taken one of the children from his first marriage to Australia. I do know that Ellen and James had a child named Emily who may have been born in Australia (c1857) but it is also possible that she was born in California. Cando you found information on James that took me a long time to piece together :) I will check out some of the links that you both sent as well. Thanks for giving my research on the family an extra push!! This is so helpful!

Re the Emily that died. In the birth/death index, as previously mentioned, just gives the state of Victoria rather than the district the event occurs in:

Name:
Ellen Elizabeth Stanaway

Father's name:
James Stanaway

Mother's name:
Ellen Prescott

Birth Place:
Victoria, Victoria

Registration Year:

Registration Place:
Victoria

Registration Number:

Name:
Ellen Elizabeth Stanaway

Birth Year:
abt 1857

Death Place:
Victoria

Father's name:
James

Mother's name:
Ellen Prescott

Registration Year:

Registration Place:
Victoria

Registration Number:

I suppose another child could have been born in Victoria shortly before their departure for the United States and is not therefore registered?

Online Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 March 15 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Or maybe I am wrong?  What do other's think.  I do not know what 005 means either?

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 March 15 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Nova67 on both comments. It might be worth it for me to purchase the death certificate so that I can at least place the family. I think you are also right that another child could have been born just before and not registered. Thanks again for the help!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 March 15 23:46 GMT (UK) »
I think you are probably right, because your transcription is much more specific. If there were 5 children listed I would think there would be four more entries with blank first names. He did have at least that many surviving children with his first wife but with his siblings still in the US he could have just as easily left them with his sisters in California. It is interesting that he left for at least a few years because he became a US citizen in 1852.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 00:21 GMT (UK) »
One child on the manifest and the online subscription only websites have transcribed the information from the Public Records Office of Victoria.  I think it's best to only use the PROV indexes and they are free to access.

Transcribed from my resource - not an online website :-X

Birth
STANAWAY Ellen Elizabeth
Father James  Mother Ellen PRESCOTT
At Geelong  1857  Reg#10962

The Deaths index in this era only show the place of birth not the place of death.  Civil Registration commenced in Jul 1853 in the Colony of Victoria.  The certificate would have her place of death and place of burial although a couple of my deceased ancestors did not have their place of burial noted for deaths in Aug 1853 and Dec 1858.

Death
STANAWAY Ellen Elizabeth
Father James  Mother Ellen PRESCOTT
1858  6 months Born Geelong  Reg#1157

Geelong Cemetery records date back to 1839 and nothing on their database for Ellen therefore I think she died elsewhere in Victoria and if so would indicate that James did not spend all his time in Victoria in Geelong.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip on death certificates! It is interesting that they didn't list where they died. It looks like I could see the original passenger list on microfiche at the PRO which is nice. I had a look to see if they have a pay service but couldn't see anything. Do you know if they have that service?

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Never mind! I think I see where I can order a scan. Thanks anyway!

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 01:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the tip on death certificates! It is interesting that they didn't list where they died.

I didn't write that....I wrote
The Deaths index in this era only show the place of birth not the place of death.  Civil Registration commenced in Jul 1853 in the Colony of Victoria.  The certificate would have her place of death and place of burial although a couple of my deceased ancestors did not have their place of burial noted for deaths in Aug 1853 and Dec 1858.

There are only three registrations for the name STANAWAY in Victoria to 1888 and they are James and Ellen's marriage and birth and death of Ellen Elizabeth.

James STANAWAY a defendant in £10 Cause lists 1855 Melbourne
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article4811341

It is possible that James arrived in Victoria on a cargo ship from California.  It wasn't until 1852 that Unassisted Immigrants were required to be recorded.  I can't remember all the legislative details.

May I gently remind you we are required to transcribe all information from other websites.  It isn't the information that is copyrighted it is the format/presentation.  I link the page with the information as well as transcribing.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk