Author Topic: Unknown photo – where and when?  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
Unknown photo – where and when?
« on: Monday 23 March 15 09:15 GMT (UK) »
This photo was in an album found in Scotland – thought to be the Braid and Anderson family from St Andrews, Fife, end of 19th century probably, though some photos could be later.
I can't place these people but the hats look Australian to me – does anyone know where they are from and what date? Back of photo states Harrismith Studio, T F Andrews Photographer. Is this South Africa or Australia? Any help would be much appreciated.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown photo – where and when?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 March 15 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm no good at photo dating etc, but looking at the Bandoleer and the spurs, they look to be from a mounted regiment.

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 March 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I have also just noticed that between them they are wearing different styles of jacket/tunic and slouch hat  :-\

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 March 15 09:53 GMT (UK) »

Harrismith is location in eastern portion of Orange River Colony.....direct train line to Natal.

Try Google.....Harrismith....Australian

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 March 15 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I agree - middle back and right hand men don't seem to be in Aussie uniforms to me. Wrong hat on the man on the right too.

Could be wrong of course - and if South Africa, maybe a mixture of armies.

Wiggy   :)
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 23 March 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if they are members of some kind of "Irregular" mounted unit from the Boer war, after all the British Empire sent men from all over including Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

Frank.

Offline Rian

• RootsChat Senior
  • My grandmother, Lilian Fennessy Hopkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 March 15 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I was guessing at Boer war too but wondered about the hats. I don't know of any family members who emigrated before that time, though two of them have a lot of resemblance to Andersons.
Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Anderson, Atton, Bagley, Banks, Barlow, Bartin, Braid, Carveth, Cleary, Cooper, Fennessy, Frank, Frisby, Garner, Hathaway, Hollis, Hopkins, Irvine, Jones, Karrasch, Kennett, Kirkpatrick, Kirkness, Kopittke, Leslie, Logie, McGinty, Marriott, Meredith, Minshull, Munro, Nind, Pearce, Pulley, Reid, Rendall, Scollay, Shearer, Shorter, Spence, Stephenson, Tate, Warren.
UK, Orkney, Ireland, Prussia and Australia.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 23 March 15 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Looking at this closely, this certainly looks like a staged studio photograph. There are a number of pointers which would lead to this asumption.
There is at least four lines of writing at the bottom right of the picture. Can you make that out on the original?

Regards

Malky

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 March 15 12:50 GMT (UK) »
I agree it's certainly a studio photograph, but I'm not seeing the 4 lines of writing, is what I see as scratches on the photograph writing?
I've tried to alter the colour / exposure etc but still cannot make it out  :-\

Frank.