Author Topic: Family Search  (Read 13311 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 01:46 GMT (UK) »

Quote from reply 8 - I was told on a  thread on this site at the weekend that I had to register to use the site, so that is what I did.

I did not say you had to register for the family search site. I suggested you could create a free account.
Perhaps it doesn't happen as much on UK records but on some records for the USA, there are 2 columns at the very right hand side - one says details and the other might say image.  When you go to the one that says image, the next screen will ask you to sign in.

For Example :- John W Smith under Events Column :- born 15 August 1866 Pottsville. Death 24 th May 1909 Philadelphia.
Burial 30 th May 1909 Phil. PA.  Residence :- Phila PA. Ward 15 and 16
Under Relationships :- Chas J Smith. Ellen Miles.

(Its a long link so I will shrink the link)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f08/ 

If you click on next column - "details" -  all that information comes up and more detail.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JD5H-QFX

If you click on "image" - it will take you to the next screen and if you sign in with your Username and Password - it will show you the record of the death and give you the option to download.

Hope this helps.
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Quote from the USA thread  - OK I am abrupt. That's me.  Why !!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive me if I am wrong here but what Jane is hoping to find on the Family Search Site or any other site is a record for a Edward Readman/Redman and Mary Moran (who she also posted about on a new USA thread)

Quote - I am looking for an Edward Readman born Ireland 1770 and wife Mary Moran birth unknown died 1850.  Who emigrated from UK and lived in North Carolina from 1815-1820.  They left and moved to Indiana.  I can find no record of them anywhere, have spent all afternoon trying.   

Perhaps Jane is asking this question because there is a User Submitted Genealogy on the family search site and it is mentioned on ancestry tree's.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f09/ 

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:S5D5-76J

It may be Jane has also come across this message from January 2000 of someone looking for George W Readman born 1802 ?

(George Redman born 27 March 1800 in Sussex is Jane's relative)

http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/redman/478/

The parents for the birth of George and other siblings were Edward Redman and Hannah Brockhurst.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01f0a/ 

Hannah Redman died and Edward may have remarried to a Jane Greenfield 20 June 1804, Billinghurst, Sussex.

Children from this union with parents Edward Redman and Jane Greenfield (I have copied children  from info Trish gave on the thread linked below) these are the same children that are listed on the submitted entry for Edward Redman and Mary Moran

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=647835.0

JOSIAS 03 Dec 1805
EDWARD 27 April 1807
MARY 24 Oct 1808
DAVID 11 Dec 1809
JESSE 09 May 1811
MARTHA 25 April 1815
ELISHA 04 Aug 1816

The ancestry trees for Edward Redman and Mary Moran give no sources or verifiable information. No marriage information is listed for Edward Redman and Mary Moran.
It is suggested in one of those links the Edward and Mary Redman go to North Carolina in 1815 and move to Posey Indiana in 1820.
WolfieSmith - In one of the threads listed found Edward and Jane and some of the children went to  Posey Indiana April 1820.  Which contradicts what evidence there is so far.

The names Edward Redman and Mary Moran are listed on the anc tree's but nothing to be found anywhere  ???  At the moment it appears it is a work of fiction unless someone finds something to the contrary.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Sandra thanks.  You have got it right.

I am looking for Edward Readman and Mary Moran. (who are eluding me)

I did see the tree with those names. (which started all this)

I did find the message about George Readman. (Parents of George definitely Edward and Hannah and George never left the UK.
)

Edward did marry Jane Greenfield, (Have parish records)

The children mentioned are on parish register. (they cannot be found anywhere in the UK after 1820 so must have gone to USA)

Regarding children going to America.  (I have  several copies of emigration forms saying 7, 6 and 4 children.  The disembarkation  docket says 7.  No childrens names are given and I was told when I queried the different amounts of children that "the accurancy of the number of children can be hit and miss".)

The connection to Posey is I believe a religious one.  Posey is predominantly a Baptist community Edward was a Baptist.  (that's my opinion )

Why am I doubting my finds? I purchased this the other day from USA from a book about Posey:

[/History known goes back to Edward Readman Snr. who came to England from Ireland in 1780. He married Mary Moran, an English girl.  Edward Jnr. was born 1789, Joseph 1803, Mary 1807 and David 1810.  They came to North Carolina 1915 and to Posey County, 1820.  Were not listed in 1820 census. Edward Snr. died 1837. Burial place of he and wife not known.............. They shortened the name to Redman)]

Hope I have done a better job of explaining.  To put my mind at rest I must try and find Edward Readman or find why he is on other trees.  I have so much research done that may all be wrong!

Jane

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Why am I doubting my finds? I purchased this the other day from USA from a book about Posey:

[/History known goes back to Edward Readman Snr. who came to England from Ireland in 1780. He married Mary Moran, an English girl.  Edward Jnr. was born 1789, Joseph 1803, Mary 1807 and David 1810.  They came to North Carolina 1915 and to Posey County, 1820.  Were not listed in 1820 census. Edward Snr. died 1837. Burial place of he and wife not known.............. They shortened the name to Redman)]

Do you have the actual book if so does it give any references where the information came from? If not why not contact the author/ publisher and ask if they have them?

I take it that these are your proved family?

JOSIAS 03 Dec 1805
EDWARD 27 April 1807
MARY 24 Oct 1808
DAVID 11 Dec 1809
JESSE 09 May 1811
MARTHA 25 April 1815
ELISHA 04 Aug 1816

Although it has the very common names Edward, Mary and David in there, the dates dont fit with that of the children given in the book and there is no Joseph. It could just be a coincidence.

Your Edward was born in Sussex wasn't he? Have you tried to find the birth of an Edward Readman in Ireland in about 1740/50? I'm not sure if Irish records go back that far though.

Very complicated.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 12:48 GMT (UK) »

Do you have the actual book if so does it give any references where the information came from? If not why not contact the author/ publisher and ask if they have them?

Your Edward was born in Sussex wasn't he? Have you tried to find the birth of an Edward Readman in Ireland in about 1740/50? I'm not sure if Irish records go back that far though.

Very complicated.  ;D

Thanks Jan for reply,

It is indeed very complicated ???.  I will answer your questions  as best I can.

No,  I do not have the book it costs too much to purchase from States.  I will do as you suggest and find out where the information came from.

Josias is Joseph to me  I have birth details for him and all the others. They are children of Edward and Jane second marriage.

I have searched everywhere for an Edward Readman and name variants as well!  Searched for Mary Moran and marriages etc.  This was why I decided to post here, I was getting nowhere fast!

Yes my  Edward came from Sussex and emigrated 1820 that is proved. To make sure no children were left behind and to make sure Edward actually emigrated I searched all UK records I could for them and nothing was found. 

The fact that Edward emigrated was know in the family but without any details.  I do not think anyone kept in touch.  As well as documented proof of my Redmans a lot of family lore was told to me by my father and Grandfather, they had so many wonderful tales of the family.

I will keep at it, although  I am feeling a little despondent that all the wonderful American research may not be my family.  In my heart of heart I think it is :)

Jane

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 13:01 GMT (UK) »
I will keep at it, although  I am feeling a little despondent that all the wonderful American research may not be my family.

I had a similar situation. A second cousin found some fascinating information about a relative who went America, married twice and had several children. All very well documented. I then found her living in London where she had been born, so it was a pure coincidence of the same unusual name and date of birth.  :'(  The unfortunate thing is, that the second cousin who added the information to her online tree has since died, so there is no way to remove it. Consequently it has been added to several other trees.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Jane you have the UK parish records for Edward, Hannah and Jane with the children from both marriages. You know your Edward went to the USA on the Christopher in April 1820. You know Jane left with him but because of the lack of records in the USA for that time period you can find no mention of Jane again - that is not unusual. (passenger list info below) Recall you saying on one thread Edward Snr died 1833 and Edward Jnr 1831 -  you have transcription of a legal battle that took place regarding wills.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-22159-26517-61?cc=1921756

Somehow you have got hold of a "clip" from a book but the book is unavailable (one source said published 1989) -   Who gave the information ? Quite possibly it came from a particular branch of the family and it was there research written up by someone not related !! What sources does this book/clip give. ? Did you ever contact the lady who was quoted on those ancestry trees, who made many message board posts and who lived in Indiana - remember my sending details in a pm ?
It was the Andrew Taylor Redman line that changed to Redmon on census, perhaps the info comes from that branch.  ???

What happened to your newspaper contact ?

Its highly unlikely there were 2 families with children of the same name. There is a distinct lack of any supporting evidence.
If the "fictious" Edward Readman/Redman was born in Ireland, the lack of Irish records for that time frame will hinder that search. There is no marriage recorded in the UK for Edward readfman/Redman and Mary Moran.

Wish you luck but it sounds like a square peg and a round hole and Edward Readman and Mary Moran don't fit what you already know.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar situation. A second cousin found some fascinating information about a relative who went America, married twice and had several children. All very well documented. I then found her living in London where she had been born, so it was a pure coincidence of the same unusual name and date of birth.  :'(  The unfortunate thing is, that the second cousin who added the information to her online tree has since died, so there is no way to remove it. Consequently it has been added to several other trees.

Oh Jan, that is bad luck.  I fear I could be going the same way, hope not.

Wish you luck but it sounds like a square peg and a round hole and Edward Readman and Mary Moran don't fit what you already know.

Sandra,

I have all the records you mention and more. I have entry from Baptist Register showing Edward Readman Jnr death 1831 adminstrators wife Ann and father Edward Readman  and Edward Readman Snr.  death 1833 Joseph Redman administrator.  The spelling could be cause for concern and it never bothered me before now, just assumed in was mistranscribed.  However son Joseph is Redman correct spelling younger son David is not?  I don't think I should get too hung up on the Readman name.  I honestly don't think Edward and Mary, if they exsist are mine.

The book is in circulation in States.  I could purchase from Amazon for $79 plus carriage. There was mention of it on someones tree.  I got copy of a couple of pages from this book  from a library in Indiana who help me.   The lady Darlene on the trees, yes I contacted her by email and by letter, left messages on ancestry sites, no reply, perhaps she is dead.

My newpaper contact ignored all my mails so far,

I have an Andrew Taylor Redman not Anthony. The Redman names change back an forth throughout my research.

On another thread about this subject (sorry cant copy and paste)  there was a reply from someone in Australia I think,  who said it was highly likely and possible for 2 families to have same names and dates of birth, this is what got me worried.

Thanks Sandra and Jan for input and help.  I will not give up.  I will contact the library and ask for more information on the book and keep trawling the net for any more snippets on Readman or Redman.

Jane ;D

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 March 15 16:23 GMT (UK) »
My apologises - obviously went from memory - and put Anthony instead of Andrew Taylor Redman - sure you knew who I mean't  ;)
Sorry I can't agree that it is highly likely for 2 families to have the same names and dates of birth, that would be a "miracle" -  agree some families tended to have the same names throughout many generations.
Suppose it would be possible if Jane Redman died, that Edward could have married a Mary in Indiana (rather than the UK) but there are no records of that.
Family stories can get distorted over time, perhaps that's what has happened here. Many of those family tree entries only have a source as "ancestry family tree" - which means info copied from one to another. As I think I've said before the surname variation was not uncommon, it had happened in loads of families, so best not to put to much importance on it.