Author Topic: Family Search  (Read 13312 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family Search
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Registration is mainly for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, see https://familysearch.org/blog/en/change-familysearch-public-account-lds-member-account/ and is not needed to use the FamilySearch  site https://familysearch.org/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I remember I subscribed because I think it says that you need to login to access images of the records

Except when you do login it just says they are not available online, only at a Family History Centre

(or, as stan says, if you are an LDS member)
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
I remember I subscribed because I think it says that you need to login to access images of the records

It doesn't really matter does it?  I haven't  parted with any money or given credit card details.  I am still not liking the site either.

What about find my past is that any good? I have ancestry, would it have any more  to offer than they have?

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I am still not liking the site either.

Keep trying with it Jane, it is one of the most useful sites and has a lot of information, as people on here will tell you.

What about find my past is that any good? I have ancestry, would it have any more  to offer than they have?

Depends exactly what you are looking for. The best thing is to take a free trial or subscribe for a month and see if it has what you need. Just remember to untick the continuous subscription or they will charge you.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/pay/freetrial
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 16:29 GMT (UK) »

Keep trying with it Jane, it is one of the most useful sites and has a lot of information, as people on here will tell you.

Depends exactly what you are looking for. The best thing is to take a free trial or subscribe for a month and see if it has what you need. Just remember to untick the continuous subscription or they will charge you.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/pay/freetrial

Yes  Jan, I will keep trying.  Sometimes I do well and it all seems to work, other times I have problems.

I am looking for American information.  At the moment I am seeking people who do not seem to exist anywhere I have looked, although they  appear on a few family trees but without any citations!  Just trying to rule them out because I do not think they are correct.

Will have a look at FindMyPast.

Jane

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
There are certain databases on Family Search where you do need to register and sign in to view the scanned images but the Pedigree Resource Files are just submitted details which can sometimes be totally inaccurate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I was going to suggest similar to aghadowey - you may be looking at trees submitted by members of the LDS church. Sometimes these are works of fiction. A couple of indications that the names may be 'made up' or a 'best guess' are when they do not give sources, when they do not give precise dates of events, when married women are given a name along the lines of 'Mrs John Smith', so it is obvious that her name is not known.
I am not very au fait with the site, but I think there is a bar where you can select to view (or not) "user submitted genealogies". They can be useful but just treat with caution.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Another clue for made up dates on LDS trees is that the husband is apparently 4 years older than his wife (suspect that and marriage year are default settings with no basis in fact).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Agha and Ruskie, thanks. I agree with your comments. Food for thought.

I have had my knuckles rapped in another thread for being abrupt, so would like to say to all who replied to this thread I am really grateful but I must call it a day. I try to do things right here but.......

You guys are all great, thanks and tc

Jane