Author Topic: Emanuel Hall  (Read 7057 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Emanuel Hall
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:25 GMT (UK) »
NSW ER 1903 WEST SYDNEY, polling at Gipps
FOLLOWING are all surnamed HALL   Noticing NO sign of Emanuel in this ward for this roll
Charles, 14 Merriman street, coal lumper (so a seafarer_
David, 66 Princes street, seaman
Eva 130 George street, domestic duties
Frederick, 104 Cumberland street labourer
Georgina, 130 George stret, domestic duties
James, 125 Harrington street, brassworker
Joseph, 8 Argyle place, labourer
Joseph, 50 Princes street, night watchman
237 Kent street, saddler

NSW ER 1878 WEST SYDNEY
there’s 32 men on that particular roll with Surname as HALL
Emanuel, residence, off Unwin St

NSW ER 1870 WEST SYDNEY
Emanuel HALL, household, 1 Globe St   (26 surnamed HALL, including some at Cumberland St,_)
Henry HALL, household, 3 Globe St
While HALL can be a popular surname, I suspect there’s a connection when two households are sidebyside with same surname. 

Cheers,  JM 

Thanks,  now to look for Nelson.   The witnesses were likely employees of Mrs Kirby the undertaker.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:28 GMT (UK) »
That part of The Rocks was being resumed by 1900s so it can be a tad confusing.   

I can see NELSON but not Charles on the 1903 roll covering Princes St. 

ADD

Sands 1871 (entries closed end Oct 1870 for publication in 1871 ..... same for other years too)

Mrs Sarah HALL, 199 Sussex St

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:33 GMT (UK) »

I did see on the NSW Marriages a Sarah Ann Crumpton married to a Joseph Izard in the following year 1870 in Sydney, it did make me wonder if she was the same person?

Where in your searches did you find the second given name Ann for Sarah, the wife of Joseph IZARD?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:41 GMT (UK) »
No it is not Sarah Ann it reads only Sarah, my mistake, on the NSW BDM.

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:44 GMT (UK) »
She is defiantly Sarah Ann on this marriage certificate, thank you for noticing the difference.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Sands 1877
Mrs Sarah HALL, 17 Kent St

Sands 1914
Charles NELSON, 13 Princes St (sadly, no occupation included on that entry)

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/16085131 smh 3 Aug 1923 notices for the late Charles John NILSSON 13, Princes St .   Note that one of the notices is from Sydney No 1 Lodge, GUO Free Gardeners.    Perhaps Emanuel HALL had been a member too.   I am fairly confident that Lodge is Grand United Order of Free Gardeners. 

Cheers,  JM  (edit to sort a typo on the surname for Charles John  :-X )

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:57 GMT (UK) »
I can be easily confuddled, so, may I please ask again ..... how do you know that the chap on the 1869 marriage is the same chap who died 1914?

Cheers,  JM

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 March 15 11:03 GMT (UK) »
I don't know for certain, except the death is him, I am pretty certain of that, but no I need more proof on the marriage, but thank you for all the information on the Sands directory's.
This is what I have been after all the time since getting the marriage certificate, more proof on who he is?
Many thanks
Trish

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 March 15 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Sands is freely available on line, and the assessment books are too.  These show not just the address' owners, but the occupier too, so you can find neighbours, details of the home, etc .

I posted the links earlier  :)
So perhaps the chap at Princes St, Sydney (Gipps ward).....  Princes street was the main one leading down to Dawes Point.   It was resumed for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.   ..... Bradfield Highway is basically similar position, except it is a tad higher, due to it being the road on the built approaches !

Add
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books
 http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/maps-and-plans
http://www.photosau.com.au/cosmaps/scripts/displayIndex.asp?Index=TS  (Trig Survey of Sydney)

Cheers,  JM