Author Topic: Emanuel Hall  (Read 7065 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emanuel Hall
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 March 15 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Sue, I think you're right about the age of the man who arrived on the Chance in 1860; that it's 31, however it's not very clear either way.  I read his place of origin as Lincolnshire - there seems a clear dot on what, to me, looks like an 'i'.

However, the OP has suggested that the person being sought was a soldier arriving from New Zealand.

???  :-\ Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 27 March 15 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes,
I think this immigrant is not relevant at all ;D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 27 March 15 05:03 GMT (UK) »
So perhaps the chap at Princes St, Sydney (Gipps ward).....  Princes street was the main one leading down to Dawes Point.   It was resumed for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.   ..... Bradfield Highway is basically similar position, except it is a tad higher, due to it being the road on the built approaches !

Add
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books
 http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/maps-and-plans
http://www.photosau.com.au/cosmaps/scripts/displayIndex.asp?Index=TS  (Trig Survey of Sydney)

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 March 15 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if this fits in anywhere but there is another Sarah Crumpton (daughter of Thomas Crumpton, of Wiseman's Ferry) marriage by Dr Bailey in 1870, to Joseph Izard:
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/13218510?searchTerm=crumpton&searchLimits=l-advcategory=Family+Notices|||exactPhrase|||l-advstate=New+South+Wales|||dateTo=1900-12-31|||notWords|||anyWords|||dateFrom=1800-01-01|||requestHandler|||sortby=dateAsc

If these two women were one in the same, one would have to say her first husband Emanuel had died.
Divorce was almost inaccessible in those times and, anyway, unlikely to have been achieved in the space of a year.

Also if bigamy was involved, wouldn't the Rev Bailey have noticed as he officiated at both ceremonies?

Sue

So perhaps the chap at Princes St, Sydney (Gipps ward).....  Princes street was the main one leading down to Dawes Point.   It was resumed for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.   ..... Bradfield Highway is basically similar position, except it is a tad higher, due to it being the road on the built approaches !

Add
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/sands-directory
http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/assessment-books
 http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/learn/search-our-collections/house-and-building-histories/maps-and-plans
http://www.photosau.com.au/cosmaps/scripts/displayIndex.asp?Index=TS  (Trig Survey of Sydney)

Cheers,  JM

This looks to me like a very good candidate as the right man ;D

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everybody for looking. my Emanuel Hall was born in Woodbridge Suffolk father William Hall mother Rebecca Clow, he joined the 1st Btn 12th foot (East Suffolk) 1st Detachment and went to Otahuhu New Zealand 1860 to the Maori uprising, he stayed there till 2nd April 1866 where he t/ferred to the Mounted Orderlies of the 50th Regiment and went to Sydney on 10/6/1867 on the "Auckland" the next time I find him married to Sara Ann Crumpton 1st Feb 1869 Free Church of England 41 Burton St Sydney, he was living at Globe St, Lower George St Sydney, I then found him on the1870 Sands Directory as a Drayman still living in Globe St, he was then at Unwin St Sydney 1879 & 1880, and in 1900 in Cumberland St Sydney. His death certificate states he was a Carter and was in the Imperial Army and now a Army pensioner age 74yrs, died 21st Oct 1914 and buried in Rookwood, it also states that he was born in Suffolk England, every thing else is unknown as a friend was a witness at the death he died of a Senile Heart???? and he lived in 13 Princess St Sydney. I did see on the NSW Marriages a Sarah Ann Crumpton married to a Joseph Izard in the following year 1870 in Sydney, it did make me wonder if she was the same person?
I would have loved to have found out more on the marriage certificate but it didn't even give an age for either, just said Bachelor, Labourer and spinster, domestic servant, witnesses - Arthur Baker & Hannah Baker and the Rev William Bailey. I have found nothing on Sarah Crumpton.
There is another Emanuel Hall from Lancashire who went to Brisbane, but he is not mine.
I cannot find any children born to Emanuel, makes me wonder why?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 March 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »

I will look up my hardcopy of the NSW electoral roll for West Sydney 1903. 

Back soon.

Cheers,  JM

Meanwhile, some thoughts: 

.......Emanuel Hall was born in Woodbridge Suffolk father William Hall mother Rebecca Clow, he joined the 1st Btn 12th foot (East Suffolk) 1st Detachment and went to Otahuhu New Zealand 1860 to the Maori uprising,

he stayed there till 2nd April 1866 where he t/ferred to the Mounted Orderlies of the 50th Regiment and went to Sydney on 10/6/1867 on the "Auckland"

married to Sara Ann Crumpton 1st Feb 1869 Free Church of England 41 Burton St Sydney, he was living at Globe St, Lower George St Sydney,

1870 Sands Directory as a Drayman still living in Globe St, he was then at Unwin St Sydney 1879 & 1880, and in 1900 in Cumberland St Sydney.

His death certificate states he was a Carter and was in the Imperial Army and now a Army pensioner age 74yrs, died 21st Oct 1914 and buried in Rookwood, it also states that he was born in Suffolk England, every thing else is unknown as a friend was a witness at the death he died of a Senile Heart???? and he lived in 13 Princess St Sydney.

I would have loved to have found out more on the marriage certificate but it didn't even give an age for either, just said Bachelor, Labourer and spinster, domestic servant, witnesses - Arthur Baker & Hannah Baker and the Rev William Bailey. I have found nothing on Sarah Crumpton.

I cannot find any children born to Emanuel, makes me wonder why?

Replying 'backwards' order ..... sorry, I am using laptop on lap, and not desktop at desk  ::)

Missing births?  perhaps the couple were recorded as WALL, BELL, HULL, HOLE, HALE, BOLE, BALE, WOOL,  or other alternatives.  The registrations were in long hand and not indexed until the mid 1930s.  Perhaps search NSW BDM for 1868-1875 using some wild card options (  ? ? ? ? as in four question marks represents FOUR characters in the surname so perhaps W ? L ? and variations on Emanuel (Samuel, Manuel, Emmanuel) and Sarah, Sara .... 

Rev Bailey did not keep detailed records, so it is unlikely you will find the rest of the elusive details missing from the NSW BDM registration.   How do you know that the chap on that marriage in 1869 is the same chap on the 1914 dc ? 

Re the death cert info 
What name for the friend, the informant ?
What denomination for the burial at Rookwood
How long in the colonies

I think that '13 Princess St" is PRINCES St, not Princess St.   Princes St is in the same ward as those Sands addresses you mention.   
Burton St is East Sydney, near the Victoria Barracks. 
Cumberland St is on western side of Circular Quay. 

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, yes it is 13, Princes St and the informant was Charles Nelson - Friend of 13, Princes St. witnesses where - Joseph Barker & Thos Caples. he died in the Sacred Heart Hospice.

Offline trisholdham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 27 March 15 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Emanuel was buried 22nd October 1914 Church of England Cemetery Rookwood, undertaker Kirby & Sons.