Author Topic: George Postle 1847 Great Yarmouth  (Read 9854 times)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: George Postle 1847 Great Yarmouth
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 03 June 23 13:23 BST (UK) »
Is this the burial you have for Ann?

17 Aug 1860, St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth
Ann POSTELL age 66
Abode Yarmouth

Possibly her in 1851?
Great Yarmouth
Ann Pestell 59 Head Widow Lodging House Keeper born Soham, Cambridgeshire
Esther Brown 22 Niece Unm Servant born Norwich
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 05 June 23 09:13 BST (UK) »
Trish, thanks for replying. It would be great if that Ann in 1851 IS her as it has a birthplace. So naturally I had a good look.

They were in 3 Alfred Terrace in 1851. Esther BROWN unmarried is her 22 year old niece, so I tried to find either of them in earlier records.

--------------

There is only one Esther BROWN born in Norwich in 1829. She was the daughter of William and Elizabeth, born 19th April.. Chr st John de schepelcher. Her father was a butcher.

Previous child for the same couple in the same parish - William 1823. This makes the parents most likely William BROWN and Elizabeth GIRLING who married 30th Nov 1820  SO - the widow Ann PESTELL 'may' have been born GIRLING, but of course there are other ways of being a niece. (inconclusive)
----------------------------
In 1861 the lodging house was being run by Mary LAYTON, so no help there.
------------------------------------
An Ann PESTELL died 20th August 1960. One of her executors was Robert Anson RICHMOND, a baker. (Probate). That Ann was aged 66 (GRO Index).

AND I BELIEVE you are CORRECT.  There is a burial in Yarmouth in August of Ann POSTELL with no entry in the deaths, and a death of Ann PESTELL of the right age and death month in the GRO.

So now we have 2 possibilities. The Ann who died in Yarmouth as a widow in 1860 is certainly the woman who was buried in Yarmouth, and who was living in Yarmouth in 1851 with a niece Esther Elizabeth BROWN.  What we don't know for certain is that she is the mother of George and William (who I believe was in Laughing Image Corner in 1841, with son William who was ALSO listed in the Gaol).

I then turned to the executor of Ann's Will.

Robert Anson RICHMOND was born in 1830. He married Mary Ann HATCH in 1852, both were residents of Yarmouth their whole life. No clues there. Note Ann's estate was very small.

A link eventually surfaced. An Ann HATCH married Joseph PESTELL in Great Yarmouth 4th Feb 1816, so I am thinking that Ann POSTEL/PESTELL who died in 1860 is NOT the one who was married to John PURCELL/POSTEL the Irish soldier.

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 05 June 23 14:49 BST (UK) »
You are very logical and I agree that I had the wrong Ann ::)

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 01:06 BST (UK) »
You AND I had the wrong death. It was only your hint re the census that showed this up. So thanks....

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 06 June 23 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for making me feel better about it :)