Author Topic: 1861 whereabouts Henry DELL b.1821 Oxford  (Read 5938 times)

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 whereabouts Henry DELL b.1821 Oxford
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 April 15 05:07 BST (UK) »
Middlesbrough.
 :o My goodness, he wasn't so much a character as a totally bad lot. We had no idea. Thanks so much for finding all that you have but please - other than the inquest of the mother - don't spend more time on it. I will do as you suggest and just get a one month sub to find the rest. You've done enough.

I already have the report of his son's death so, hopefully, I can save you that search.

Regards,
OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline middlesbrough

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 April 15 08:22 BST (UK) »
Oxford Journal 9 January, 1869

Inquest before Wm. Brunner Esq.

On the fist inst., at the dwelling house of Samuel priest, 49 Friars St, St Ebbes, on the body of Ann, wife of Henry Dell, shoemaker, aged 66.
Henry Dell deposed to his wife having being generally in good health, but was taken giddy at suppertime, 10 o'clock the previous evening, and fell on the floor from her chair.  With the assistance of her neighbour, Mrs. Priest, he got her upstairs to bed, and laid down beside her, but did not take his clothes off. Almost directly he found she was cold, and had ceased to breathe. He was not aware of her having taken anything to do her harm and believed she had died by visitation of God. They had been married 47 years.
Elizabeth Priest had known the deceased many years, and with her daughter had assisted to get her upstairs on Thursday evening, when she complained of giddiness. Her work was on the table, and from what she knew of her, witness believed she had taken nothing to cause the giddiness. After she was comfortable in bed, witness left her but was called again in 10 minutes, and found she was lying in the same position but was dead.
Verdict- Died by the visitation of God.

You are very welcome. I really enjoy reading all these newspaper reports, they are so dramatic.

Julie (also from Oz)

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 April 15 02:56 BST (UK) »
Nice to meet you Julie.

That is an interesting inquest. And the first time I've ever heard of dying by the visitation of God. You wouldn't really want to get too familiar with God if that's what happens  :o

I went to FindMyPast and found quite a few more crimes for Henry Dell giving just the initial brief words. But they are sufficient to give me the general idea about his exploits. We have decided that he was a real scoundrel.

Have a very happy Easter and thanks once again for your efforts.

Joan nr.Bundaberg
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex