Author Topic: Vera Grace Walker  (Read 6089 times)

Offline prodda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vera Grace Walker
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 29 March 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
As far as I know, when she was preparing to apply for a passport she couldn't find her birth certificate so tried to get another but the UK authorities couldn't find a birth record. How she established she was born in Canada I'm not sure. Would she have had to produce a birth certificate when she married in 1938?

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 29 March 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

No, there would be no birth certificate required to get married, I can't find her on the emigration records, I have found some possible records for a Vera Grace Walker, but it all depends on her fathers name on the MC

Margp
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 March 15 16:07 BST (UK) »
Would she have had to produce a birth certificate when she married in 1938?

Probably not....but I'll be fine if proven wrong. :)

Your people (from past posts) seemed to do a bit of to-ing and fro-ing from UK and Canada. ???
What would be your guess as to Vera's origins,please.

Maureen

Just a joking Edit: Where is that goat woman when you really need her???????????????

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 March 15 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi all was wondering if this was Vera as we don't know what age she would have been when she arrived in the U K ..there is a record for a Daisy Vera G Walker birth year out by 3 years she is an inmate in Industrial School in Canada in the 1921 census ( student ) both parents were from England ...
There is a record for a Vera Walker b Canada age 13 ( student ) arriving Liverpool 28 November 1921 travelling on her own going to 71 , Blair Athol Road Sheffield.... just a thought

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 March 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
Would she have had to produce a birth certificate when she married in 1938?

Probably not....but I'll be fine if proven wrong. :)

Your people (from past posts) seemed to do a bit of to-ing and fro-ing from UK and Canada. ???
What would be your guess as to Vera's origins,please.

Maureen

Just a joking Edit: Where is that goat woman when you really need her???????????????

Bleat.....just goat here

Bleat....been busy tending my goat
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline prodda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 March 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Not sure whether this helps or hinders but Vera's marriage record shows her as Vera Grace P Walker - have been told the P stands for Priest but don't know whether that is a 3rd forename or possibly a double barrelled surname. Family lore is that she came to the UK as a young girl but that her birth was registered somewhere in Canada.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 March 15 21:17 BST (UK) »
Was there never any mention of Vera having siblings or other relatives. ? What relation was Vera to you ?

Sandra 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 March 15 22:29 BST (UK) »
Quote -  Family lore is that she came to the UK as a young girl but that her birth was registered somewhere in Canada

Sorry - another question - Has anyone any idea at what age she may have returned to the UK ?

Sandra

Offline prodda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 March 15 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra - Vera was grandmother to my good friend Rachel, who I'm trying to help. Rachel has pooled all the info that the family have & there are no known siblings of Vera. As I mentioned, it's believed that she came over from Canada as a young girl but the circumstances are not known.