Author Topic: Attfield/Watmore marriage 1795. Gosport.  (Read 733 times)

Offline DiOs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Attfield/Watmore marriage 1795. Gosport.
« on: Wednesday 06 July 05 19:56 BST (UK) »
Richard Attfield born c1771 married Elizabeth Watmore in Holy Trinity Church, Gosport, on Nov 23, 1795. If anyone has access to the parish records for this area, I would very much appreciate confirmation of this marriage and any further details available.

Also, although there is a large population of Attfields in the Farnham area of Surrey where they settled, I have been unable to find any record there of Richard's birth. I would therefore also appreciate a lookup in parish records of the Gosport area for any record of him.

I'm unable to visit the record offices myself as I live in Canada, so any help would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Di.

Offline cookie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Attfield/Watmore marriage 1795. Gosport.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 05 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Di

Ive had a look on the familysearch site and they have the marriage listed but no other details are given apart from what you`ve already posted.

cookie
Allington from Woolpit & Ipswich, Suffolk
Hammond from Ipswich, Gosbeck & Ashbocking, Suffolk
Fitch from Ipswich & Woodbridge, Suffolk
Ellis from Cheshire & Lancashire

Offline DiOs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 05 03:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Cookie,

Thankyou so much for looking at the parish records for me. I'm a little disappointed that there were no more helpful details, but I got my information from the IGI, a not necessarily reliable source, so thankyou for confirming for me that the marriage did actually take place. Now on to the search for Richard's origins!

Thankyou again. It was very kind of you to take the time to check into it for me, and much appreciated.

Regards, Di.

Offline jan.jan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Di.

I checked the Record Office for you in Portsmouth and did view the marriage certificate.

Richard Attfield of Farnham a single man, married Elizabeth Watmore a spinster of Gosport at Holy Trinity Church Gosport on 23rd Nov 1795.

The entry is an old style one that doesn't list the fathers or an address of residence and the writing is very poor and extremely difficult to read.

The witnesses look like Nath Attfield and Thomas Watmore but as I said, it is very hard to read.

Hope this helps.

Jan

Offline DiOs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 July 05 21:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Thankyou so much for that information. The fact that he is listed as Richard Attfield of FARNHAM, and that one of the witnesses was Nath (Nathaniel, a much used given name in this branch of the Attfield family), confirms for me that he actually IS from Farnham and I don't need to go looking for him elsewhere.

Thanks again.

Regards, Di.