Author Topic: why does it annoy me so?  (Read 21606 times)

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: why does it annoy me so?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 10:37 BST (UK) »
I blame the companies like Ancestry who have adverts saying 'find your family with just one click'.  It makes it sound so easy that anyone can do it.  And, of course, anyone can do it but it's not as easy as they make it sound.  This means that a lot of people try, get bored with the research and give up or copy someone else's.  They don't really care if it's correct or not - they can say they 'did' their family tree. 

I am happy to share and help anyone who appears to have an interest in the 'correct' information but as many have already said - many Ancestry members are not interested or don't reply if you email them.

I was talking to a work-colleague who knew I was researching my family history.  He was so excited because someone had presented him with his 'complete' family tree.  He knew it was accurate because at the top of the tree in the 16th century was a man named John - the same as name as his.  That was his 'proof'.   ::)

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 10:57 BST (UK) »

He knew it was accurate because at the top of the tree in the 16th century was a man named John - the same as name as his.  That was his 'proof'.   ::)                             

Was it John Smith as well?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 11:24 BST (UK) »

He knew it was accurate because at the top of the tree in the 16th century was a man named John - the same as name as his.  That was his 'proof'.   ::)                             

Was it John Smith as well?
;D ;D ;D ;D No, but not far off.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline yecartmannew

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 12:35 BST (UK) »
I can see both points of view.

When I first started I got the 14 day free trial to Ancestry and spent that 14 days downloading as much info as I possibly could without checking any of it. It makes me a little ashamed therefore to admit I have a completely unverified and most probably horrifically innacurate public tree that goes right back on one line to Charlamaine!

I then started properly and am doing it the right way, but that unchecked tree has given me some hints when I got a bit stuck, if only to rule out a person.

It did kind of bug me a little that my grandmothers date of death is out by about 50 years on several trees, including one that belongs to the sister of a relation who really should know better as she was with me at the funeral! But it is up to them what they put and whether they care about the accuracy.

Or, maybe they are doing the same thing I did?

My correct tree is private because there is a lot of personal info on it, but I would be willing to share if anyone asked. especially since everyone on here has been so generous with there time in helping me. Without that I would have been stuck, so if I can help someone else I will.
Prentice - Warwickshire
Hannis  - Warwickshire
Trigg - Warwickshire/Denbigshire
Mantell - Warwickshire

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, my attitude on this has offended many.   I didn't envisage  it would turn out as  a case of taking sides against me. I seem to be in a minority, if that is the case,   family history will be safe, as  there will be others to make  research available.    I get a lot of help from Rootschat and have given tons of information in open forum about my family.  I have also  helped a couple of tree owners recently  on ancestry without actually giving documents etc.  I have given information that they can then research, so I don't think I am all that bad. 

What started out as a reasonable post has now made me feel quite upset about some of the comments.

I wish I could tell you the reason why I think like this about sharing.

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 12:42 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, my attitude on this has offended many.   I didn't envisage  it would turn out as  a case of taking sides against me. I seem to be in a minority, if that is the case,   family history will be safe, as  there will be others to make  research available.    I get a lot of help from Rootschat and have given tons of information in open forum about my family.  I have also  helped a couple of tree owners recently  on ancestry without actually giving documents etc.  I have given information that they can then research, so I don't think I am all that bad. 

What started out as a reasonable post has now made me feel quite upset about some of the comments.

I wish I could tell you the reason why I think like this about sharing.

Jane

No-one is 'taking sides' 'against' you or offended. As you know this is a contentious subject and if you start a thread about it you must expect some comments disagreeing with your approach  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 12:44 BST (UK) »
Never offended Jane and my post was not intended to , and it isn't about taking sides. I think most agree with you that the trees on Ancestry are laughable , and it is this that annoys. Never you   :)

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 13:22 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, my attitude on this has offended many.   I didn't envisage  it would turn out as  a case of taking sides against me.

I don't think people are taking sides - I agree with those who couldn't care less if other people don't do their research and get their trees wrong. It doesn't affect my research one way or another. One day someone in the family WILL do the research and realise their family isn't who they think it is.

But I also understand that it is annoying that people copy family documents and photos, especially when they don't put them to proper use - I really don't understand why someone wants a photo of my Dad in their tree, but for some reason they do. I used to have a public tree, in fact it's still there, complete with mistakes I made 10 years ago, but I keep it on my PC now where no one has access to family photos. If I'd seen the pic of my Dad in it's correct place in a tree I would probably have been quite excited to have found someone new in the family, as it is he has been renamed. Why would anyone do that ??????????

On the other hand, I'm more than willing to give help/info to people, especially if they are actually family members.

Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 13:25 BST (UK) »
What I find annoying is that there are trees of my whole family (that is all ancestors etc) on Ancestry and I've never put them there.  Also there is a family with a daughter that I couldn't find the birth for (the child showed up on various census), then with a bit of lateral thinking I've realised whose child she is and, yesterday, after months of looking I've found her birth - the surname was spelt wrongly.  I've sent for the birth cert to be sure, but if it confirms what I think, do I now give all the people, who've got my tree on Ancestry, the correct info?

Lizzie