Author Topic: 1901/1911 Irish Census -Maps used to locates Houses for Census listings - where?  (Read 11351 times)

Offline cyberlaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1901/1911 Irish Census - any maps for the Houses that anyone knows of?

I am looking for the Maps used in the 1901 Census -- does anyone know where they are, or if copies are available online anywhere?

In some of the Ancestors listings in the Census pages, such as in the 1901 Census, it is often listed as
"Residents of House Number 2 in XX(area, town, village)

and I would like to find if these still exists - and compare the same with the 1911 Census.
I wonder if they are in the cancelled books for the Census, the Land Records, or where. I do know the Enumerators used Ord. Survey maps, but I am not sure how they went about the census work - surely theyu went from house to house, but they would have had to know where they were...hence the maps.

Is House Number 1 in the 1901 Census for Sligo (say Tourlestrane) the same as House Number 1 for the 1911 Census?

Someone would have to have extensive Irish Research exp. to answer this, as guesses are not going to be helpful....

Thanks so much in advance,

M10

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1901/1911 Irish Census -Maps used to locates Houses for Census listings - where?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 04:46 BST (UK) »
"Is House Number 1 in the 1901 Census for Sligo (say Tourlestrane) the same as House Number 1 for the 1911 Census?"

The order of enumeration was at the discretion of the enumerator. The enumerator was a local policeman, he had his own numbering system.  It's unlikely the same policeman enumerating an area in 1901 would have enumerated the same area in 1911, rather a different policeman and different way of numbering.

I don't consider that I have "extensive Irish Research exp.", all I can say is that from my time researching Irish families, I am not aware of any source, online or offline, showing how (in terms of numbering) individual enumerators enumerated their particular areas.

By the time of the 1911 census, I'm aware that in places like Belfast and Dublin, "Additional Pages" under "Household Return (Form A)" would sometimes show the actual postal address / street number and that sometimes the enumerator's numbering followed this.  But this is not the pattern generally elsewhere and not in Toorlestraun in 1911. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1901/1911 Irish Census -Maps used to locates Houses for Census listings - where?
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
Each census was primarily for recording statistical details of the population- number of males & females, age ranges, religion, etc. Therefore no one needed to compare the inhabitants of a particular townland in one census to another. All that matter was that the enumerator recorded every household.

If you are trying to trace a particular house there are ways of doing so. The Valuation Revision Books trace a property from the printed version of Griffith's Valuation (mid 1800s) until c1930 and in the countryside local people, especially farmers, would be able to make connections forward from there. The books for Sligo would be in Dublin but those for Northern Ireland counties are now online. Have a look at PRONI's website to read about them and see what they look like to give you an idea of what would be available for Sligo-
http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/val12b.htm

You can also compare the listings for a particular townland in the countryside in 1901 and 1911 and work out a lot of details for the properties which can help find it's location (number of windows in front, rooms, outbuildings, etc.)- however, this is much more difficult to do in towns and cities.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!