Author Topic: Huxleys in Anglesey  (Read 14140 times)

Offline keithloinesjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huxleys in Anglesey
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, it's been a while since I looked at the site and have appreciated the recent post by coolkenno. I'm a descendent of John Huxley born to John and Catherine Huxley on 12/2/1815 in Llanbeblig. He had moved away by the 1841 census living in Newmarket ( now trelawnyd). I have been trying unsuccessfully to make a link to Liverpool as there were Huxley's as millers there. I am uncertain of the ancestors prior to the three consecutive John Huxley's and would appreciate your comments
Ps I like the interpretation regarding Fortunatus.

Offline coolkenno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 15:46 BST (UK) »
I researched a little into this and thought that all Huxleys in Caernarfon are related, mostly millers originally and originally from Liverpool. Is your ancestor the John Huxley who married Catherine Evans (not known where, possibly Liverpool) or the John Huxley who married Catherine Hughes (in Caernarfon 1814)? My notes say JH who married Cath Evans was a Liverpudlian. Both Johns were millers, which confuses things and both were having children in Llanbeblig at the same time 1810s-20s. I think they may have been cousins of some kind due to their location, name and professions.

I thought that the John who married Cath Evans was born in 1792, the son of George Huxley (a millwright) and Anne Allen from Copperas Hill, Liverpool. I thought that John had a sister Jane who also ended up in Caernarfon marrying John Roberts in 1824. John dying in Bangor in 1883 possibly.

Offline keithloinesjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your speedy response. I've just spent a while talking it through with my cousin and we are fairly confident that we descend from John Huxley and Catherine Hughes.  We cannot be absolutely sure of course but their son seems the have been the first born and would probably have been given his father's name.
I also think the two John Huxley's that lived in Llanbeblig at around the same time were probably cousins. The copperas connection is most interesting. I did find a Huxley as a miller in all probability at Tyrer's mill there. I have some information that it was destroyed in the 1790 's.
If we can help one another further I'd be delighted.

Offline coolkenno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 20:12 BST (UK) »
I'll post my research into Huxleys in Llanbeblig. Colour-coding of names relates to siblings, apart from pink text which is uncertain info. Yellow blocked names are my direct ancestors.

First baptisms.

Offline coolkenno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 20:13 BST (UK) »
Huxley marriages.

Offline coolkenno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 20:14 BST (UK) »
Census results.

Offline coolkenno

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 20:16 BST (UK) »
Huxley deaths.

Offline keithloinesjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 11 April 24 08:10 BST (UK) »
Wow, that is most impressive.and thank you ever so much for posting this.
The 1861 census for our John Huxley, says his age was then 46 which means he was born about 1815. Your baptism schedule shows a John Huxley in that year. Given that we have his baptism as 12/2/1815, he is likely to have been the first son of John Huxley and Catherine (Hughes) who married on the  ,7/1/1814.
We will review all your information and comment further soon.

Offline keithloinesjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 12 April 24 14:44 BST (UK) »
We have had a further discussion and are in agreement that our family descends from the three consecutive John Huxleys who are descended from George and Jane Huxley.
Fortunatus was born after their son John  ,who was the first of the three consecutive Johns. Hugh was the grandson of George and Jane and brother of John 2 and he and Jane were witnesses atJohn2s wedding.
This is as far as we can go at the moment and is stated to the best of our research.
Please confirm you agree, meantime we are at a brick wall with George.