Author Topic: Huxleys in Anglesey  (Read 14153 times)

Offline coolkenno

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huxleys in Anglesey
« Reply #36 on: Friday 12 April 24 19:44 BST (UK) »
I looked again at the records. I think the John Huxley born to John Huxley, miller in 1815 in Caenarfon, may be a red herring in terms of he may have died young with no record. John Huxley Junior who married Cath Hughes had a son John in 1820, who later married Ann Rogers I presumed. The other John and Cath couple in Bangor (John from Liverpool) had a son John in 1834 who survived. So the 1815 John must have died with no record.

John Huxley Junior the son of John Huxley, a notable lay Preacher, who is noted frequently in the local press at the time, if you can access the British Newspaper Archive.

My ancestor Hugh Huxley authored a welsh-language book 'Dyoddefaint Crist' in 1827, there are copies in some Welsh libraries I think. I hope to see a copy one day, it may have some bio info within, fingers crossed! Caernarfon was noted for welsh-language printing I think at the time.

I also hope to visit Caernarfon in the future, look round the graveyards, which could reveal more details. Huxley is a village in north-west Cheshire, probably the original source of the name.

The online parish clerks website for Lancashire (lan-opc.org.uk) is good and goes back many centuries. I must have looked for Huxleys in Liverpool on there but it may be worth a look for you also, to trace George Huxley's family possibly.

Offline keithloinesjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Huxleys in Anglesey
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 13 April 24 22:06 BST (UK) »
The main difference between the two is their birthplace stated on several censuses.
The 1815 one was born in Caernarvon ( presumably llanbeblig).
The 1820 one was born in Aberffraw on Anglesey. Interestingly he starts as Hoxley and is later recorded as Hunley ( unless these are transcription errors.)
I'm aware of the village in Cheshire and knew  about the preacher.
I wish you well in your graveyard search, I understand llanbeblig is somewhat overgrown.