Author Topic: Unravelling a family mystery  (Read 4291 times)

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
Unravelling a family mystery
« on: Saturday 04 April 15 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters,
I would love some help with the following:
My great uncle Robert West married in the Quebec Garrison in Canada in 1860 to a 'widow'Dinah Kent b.1833.I have the details of this marriage so do not need a look up for this.
According to family anecdotes Dinah arrived in New York in 1853 moved to Hamilton 1854-57 then to Montreal 1857/58 and met Robert West around 1859.
Dinah's first child was born in 1858 ,Charles Nelson West ,as he was known. Now Canadian family say he was born to her first husband, (unknown) , although he bears a startling resemblance to my grandfather who is a West. However, I cannot see why they would take two years to marry if she had a baby with Robert. Robert was in the army but didn't get stationed anywhere during that time.
Anyway this is what I need help with:
What was Dinah Kents maiden name? Was she possibly a Nelson?, because of her sons name although I have drawn a blank with this. She may have been from Wiltshire UK originally but I cannot find who she is or an immigration record.
Is Charles from her first marriage or from Robert? He refers to having two sons in a letter to his mother in 1860 sent to the UK,so there is a clue maybe.
I cannot find any previous marriage for a Dinah Nelson or Kent,another option is Ward as a further child was James Ward West. I do not know whether she married in England or Canada for the first time if indeed she was married at all before Robert who knows?
Sorry that this is a very long waffly post but I have looked for answers to this for a long time and still have no definitive answers.
Any help,would be much appreciated
Kind regards
Nooshiew
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Unravelling a family mystery
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 April 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
There is an ancestry tree which says -
Dinah Kent West Kempster - Birth abt 1835 in Cranham, Essex,  England  - Died 1901 in  Norfolk, Ontario.

Not sure that it all looks okay though  ???

Sandra

Added Definitely doesn't look right.  ::)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 April 15 15:49 BST (UK) »
Charles Nelson was baptized Anglican Christ Church Cathedral Actes.  Birth 11 March 1857.  Baptized as illegitimate.  Parents given as James ?amslet and Dianah Kent.

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 April 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Wow that was quick,what a great find ,this solves the mystery of Charles' parenthood, Robert clearly took him on and gave him his name, the huge family resemblance is clearly coincidental.
Thanks a million
Nooshiew

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 April 15 16:02 BST (UK) »
John West married Charlotte in 1906 and gave his parents as Robert West and Dinah Kent and birthplace of Quebec.
John was baptized in Anglican Garrison with birth 01 Oct 1860.  Parents were Robert West and Dinah Kent (this was phrased to indicate Kent was her maiden name)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 April 15 16:04 BST (UK) »
Edith Elizabeth West's birth 03 May 1872 was registered in Norfolk with parents given as Robert West and Dinah Kent.
Charles' death gave his parents as Robert West and Dinah Kent - both born England

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 April 15 16:20 BST (UK) »
It doesn't surprise me that Charles gave his parentage as Robert and Dinah as Robert brought him up so he may or may not have known his true parentage. Dinah was clearly pregnant when she married Robert as they married in March 1860 oh well times were tough back then
Thanks again
Nooshie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 April 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
Two Dinah Kents on 1841 British census.  One in Cranham Essex with parents John and Elizabeth and one in Figheldean Wiltshire with parents Charles and Ann.
The Cranham Essex Dinah married Samuel Kempster in 1856 and is on the 1861 census with him in Plumstead London.
In 1851 the Dinah born in Wiltshire is working as a servant in St. Giles Cripplegate London.
There is a 21 year old Dinah Kent travelling from London to New York on the Margaret Evans arriving 07 Sept 1853.
The naming of her first born Charles might also link your Dinah to Charles and Ann.

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 April 15 17:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks once again this is great information, I had previously found the Wiltshire Dinah Kent,but because I didn't know whether it was a married name or maiden name I couldn't positively identify it as her. Also I couldn't find an immigration records so this is great information.
Thank you for your continuing help.
Nooshie