Author Topic: Kearns/kerins  (Read 4382 times)

Offline weetam154

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kearns/kerins
« on: Sunday 05 April 15 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there.  I'm researching my family tree and have hit a brick wall.  My GGGF was John Kearns/Kerins(born Sligo approx 1814) who married Maria Mulligan from Sligo (born approx 1820).  They had my GGM Anna (or Mary Ann) in 1864.  She married James Feeney in Calry in March 1883.  They had 2 boys in Sligo before they  moved to Glasgow (1886/1889) where they had 2 more childlren.  Ann died in Glasgow in 1896. 3 of their boys fought in France & Flanders in WW1 (one was killed in action and the other two suffered the effects of mustard gas poisoning for their short lives afterwards).  I'm trying to trace the family back to John Kearns/Kerins (he was a shepherd) and Maria Mulligan - I can find no trace of either of them in the BMD or parish records.  There is a family with John Kearns/Maria Mulligan in the 1851 census but I'm not sure if this is my family.  We're having a family reunion at the end of May and I'd like to fill in the gaps.  Can anyone help, please?  Many thanks.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Kearns/kerins
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 21:17 BST (UK) »
I thought that it might spark some movement on this by posting a link to a Kearns family in the census search forms:

http://censussearchforms.nationalarchives.ie/reels/c19/007246700/007246700_00244.pdf

I'm not sure if this is the same family that you mention but perhaps these might connect with your Kearns family. 

Also, and a long shot, this post on the Monaghan Board:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=684186.0

refers to a John Kerins who was a member of the RIC and born in Sligo.

Offline weetam154

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 April 15 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there - and many many thanks for your response.  I already had the info from the census and am researching the names there but not sure if its the same family.  I'll check out the posts on the Monaghan board as well.

cheers again
Catherine

Offline BlandTree

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 15 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Catherine,

I'm sorry that I cannot help you but I wonder if you have come across a Charles Michael KERINS, born circa 1937-40 and lived in Carton,  Ballymote, County Sligo in Ireland. He was Roman Catholic and was a Builder/Plumber. Acton in London was his last know address. He had 2 brothers Andrew who was in the Royal Air Force and Peter who was the eldest & a sister Mary who died from cancer. Charles or Charlie as he was known was the youngest. His parents were farmers, forenames unknown. 

A long shot, but worth a try!!

Good luck with your own research,

Malcolm
Adkins, Alford, Alfred, Allford, Armitt, Atkins, Atkinson, Berry, Blackberry. Blackbury, BLAND, Boaden, Boardman, Bowden, Carpenter, Lister, Malsbury, Mason, McAra, Mawle, Mery, Mold, Newth, Pargitter, Park, Pritchard, Quiney, Quinney, Rawlinson, Rollinson, Rowlinson, Rowledge, Sprute, Stuart, Sugden, Tyler

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 15 17:56 BST (UK) »
KERINS Margaret (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
KERINS Margaret (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
KERINS Michael of Shrananaugh (Ballynakill Cemetery Sooey County Sligo Ireland)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline bigbigjimbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 December 21 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The Kerins who lived in Monaghan was my Grandfather he originally came from knockadalteen near Ballymote in Sligo.
I have a good bit of information on that family if it can be of help to you.
Email
(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 31 December 21 09:14 GMT (UK) »

......he originally came from knockadalteen near Ballymote in Sligo.

For others reading, here are links to the townland of Knockadalteen in the civil parish of Emlaghfad.

https://www.townlands.ie/sligo/corran/emlaghfad/carrickbanagher/knockadalteen/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3210187#map=13/54.1014/-8.5111

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 December 21 09:39 GMT (UK) »

The Kerins who lived in Monaghan was my Grandfather he originally came from knockadalteen near Ballymote in Sligo.
I have a good bit of information on that family if it can be of help to you.

Have you seen this thread on the Co Monaghan board?

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=684186.0

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline bigbigjimbo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 December 21 09:56 GMT (UK) »
I knew off the Monaghan thread but had not checked it for a long time, I think your link might have helped someone in their research.