Author Topic: What happened to Joseph Dodd?  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Joseph Dodd?
« on: Monday 06 April 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Joseph Dodd was born 1846 in Tushingham, Cheshire and baptised in Malpas. He was in Tilston, Cheshire in 1851 then Tunstall, Staffordshire in 1861 with his parents Thomas Dodd and Emma. He married Jane Elizabeth Shaw in 1866 in Newchapel, Staffordshire. He was a collier. They had two children, Joseph Dodd in 1867 and Mary Jane Dodd in 1869.

I can't find him on the 1871 census, he wasn't with his young family. Jane, Joseph (Jr) and Mary Jane were living with Jane's parents John and Hannah Shaw in Chell. Jane's status was married and she was working in a pottery warehouse.

In 1876 Jane married Joseph Wood in Burslem. Her name was written as "Jane Dowell", she was widowed, her age and her father's name and occupation were all correct. She signed her name with an X so I can only assume that the surname of Dowell was down to a mishearing.

I have been unable to find a death or burial record for Joseph Dodd nor can I find him on any censuses after 1861.

Can anyone spot something I've missed? He's a bit of a puzzle.
Boulton (Staffs), Clayton (Staffs, Black Country, Shrops), Tomlinson (Staffs, Ches), Smith (Staffs, Worcs, Middx), Cyples (Staffs), Sharman (Staffs, Black Country, Herefs), Griffiths (Staffs, Lancs, Middx, Wrexham), Duncalf (Liverpool, Ches)

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Joseph Dodd?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 April 15 16:09 BST (UK) »
It`s a bit of a long-shot but there`s a death of a Joseph Dodd - Aged 29 - 4th Quarter of 1875 -  - Registered at Weardale, Durham.  Vol: 10A  Page: 149

It is/was a mining area so I suppose it`s possible he went there for work  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 April 15 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for your reply, that is a really good suggestion. I shall keep it in mind, I've been going through the Joseph Dodds in the Weardale area in 1871 and they all appear to still be in the area in later years, so the death in 1875 could be of a Joseph who originated from elsewhere. Thank you.
Boulton (Staffs), Clayton (Staffs, Black Country, Shrops), Tomlinson (Staffs, Ches), Smith (Staffs, Worcs, Middx), Cyples (Staffs), Sharman (Staffs, Black Country, Herefs), Griffiths (Staffs, Lancs, Middx, Wrexham), Duncalf (Liverpool, Ches)

Offline SueTeakle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 April 15 17:48 BST (UK) »
My pleasure  :)  I wonder if there would be more information on his death certificate?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk