Author Topic: Looking for info on John Bennett  (Read 36128 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on John Bennett
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 20:10 BST (UK) »
Writing was really blotchy   ::) - the surname looked like Gosnell and I thought the age was 29 but never turned anything up with that combination.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 20:21 BST (UK) »
Writing was really blotchy   ::) - the surname looked like Gosnell and I thought the age was 29 but never turned anything up with that combination.

Sandra

Yes had another look ruled out McPherson need to leave it for now  :)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
Think I'm brain dead for the moment on this one Rosie.  Think it might remain a brick wall.  :'(

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for the explanation as to the difference between copy and paste, and transcribe.

I think you have edited that 18.28 entry and added additional information, but you are correct that a direct copy and paste would leave some surnames as capitals.
I think the info at the end of each line would be cut by anyone who was pasting anything over.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 21:04 BST (UK) »
No, I have not edited -  I have added to that particular entry - reply 28 to try and prove or disprove if any of the entries could have been the person who we are seeking.
The comment I made about copy and paste was just to give you the heads up about a rule on this site which you obviously didn't know about, having only been a member since last October. Don't worry about it, a moderator has modified your post 14 for you.  I am sorry you have taken umbrage and cannot let the matter go.  Would be grateful if we can move on and concentrate on what this thread is all about.

Regards
Sandra

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 21:43 BST (UK) »
Ancestry has an entry in the 1891 census for what they believe to be M Durrett, but it could easily be John Bennett, born possibly Tunbridge (ancestry believe Mutssa).
Ancestry has the wife as Vernette, unfortunately looks like Charlotte not Jeanette.
But there are children Herbert and Doris, plus older children

Just checked to see if I can find them in 1901, and they are still there, unfortunately, he is Rex, not John.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 22:08 BST (UK) »
On the Canadian arrivals list for 25th February 1893, D Bennett is shown as an infant, so under 1 year.

This disagrees with her birth recorded in 1901 census as 1st January 1891.

If she was actually under 1 in 1893, then she will not be with her brother Herbert in 1891 census.  Bother.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
On the Canadian arrivals list for 25th February 1893.....

....also on that arrivals list the passenger who appears to be with the Bennetts is a male and seems to be heading to a different destination. Couldn't read it properly but thought it might be Kalispell. Still couldn't make sense of the name though.

Certainly has been confusing. I've been looking for the 1891 census entry in UK as well - but no luck.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Tomster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 23:06 BST (UK) »
Doris was born January 1 1892 in Leeds,

URL of this page: http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=bmd%2fb%2f1892%2f3%2faz%2f00
0045%2f354&_ga=1.152197562.221939020.1417558438

And Herbert was born 9 Jul 1890 in Leeds

URL of this page: http://search.findmypast.com/record?id=bmd%2fb%2f1890%2f1%2faz%2f00
0046%2f133

I think getting the original documents may reveal more about John and Jessie?