Author Topic: Looking for info on John Bennett  (Read 36131 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on John Bennett
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 23:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom:

I've been following along but have been quite confused by names/dates etc. Have you turned up any of them on the 1891 UK census?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Tomster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not.

Tom

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 08 April 15 23:47 BST (UK) »
I think getting the original documents may reveal more about John and Jessie?

If those are the correct ones for Herbert and Doris the originals would certainly help. Those FindMyPast URL links would not open up for me. Just wondering - are those entries using the surname Bennett?

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker

Offline Tomster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 09 April 15 02:04 BST (UK) »
Sorry Sami. I tried and it didn't work either. If you search for Doris or Herbert Bennett with birthdays in 1892 and 1890 respectively in Findmypast, it will work.

Tom

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 09 April 15 03:22 BST (UK) »
If you search for Doris or Herbert Bennett with birthdays in 1892 and 1890 respectively in Findmypast, it will work.

You have Doris - born January 1 1892 in Leeds - but the Bramley, Yorkshire birth registration for 1892 is for the 3rd quarter (Jul-Aug-Sep) which seems a bit late as a registration for your Doris. Couldn't find one that seemed likely from 1891 or 1892. That's why I'm wondering if the children's births were registered under the Bennett name or another name.

sami

Offline Tomster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 09 April 15 03:41 BST (UK) »
Sami

The Jan 1 maybe wrong, but Bramley is just west adjacent to Leeds.

Tom

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 09 April 15 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom:

Maybe its worth a try then - if she's the right Doris it could certainly answer some questions.

sami

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 09 April 15 06:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry, had discounted that birth yesterday, but had not posted the information - it was one of the reasons why I asked about Leeds in Kent, particularly with any Tunbridge connections.

Free reg has the Bramley Doris baptised in 1895

File 21413
St Peter  Bramley (Leeds)
Register  Number   851
Birth     17 August 1892     Baptism Date   21 April 1895
Doris
Father William  Father Surname Bennett            Occupation   Innkeeper
Mother Sarah
Address  Barley Mow Inn, Bramley

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 09 April 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
This seems to be one of those threads that could go on forever more without a conclusion.  It could be John and Jeanette were never married, John could have been married previously (he is a lot older than Jeanette)  Jeanette could have been married previously and the first two children hers from that marriage, or they could have been illegitimate and have taken the Bennett name.  Without the birth records for those 2 children, Herbert and Doris it may be impossible to take this thread further.
Just a note that I did check out a Jeanette Janet Molenkamp born 17 Oct. 1868 36 Woodstock Street, West Ham, Essex who also went to British Columbia and married surname Fisher.  A family tree entry gave her date of death the same as Jeanette Bennett Fisher which was incorrect as Jeanette Molenkamp Fisher died 6 th July 1933. So another one discounted.  Have advised the tree owner and gave them a link to the correct record so that they can correct. (hopefully  ;))

Still think it is worth an e-mail to Toronto Public Library to see if it is possible they can locate any death/obituary information for John Bennett between 31 st March 1901 and June 1904.
Will bow out for now Tom but will obviously post anything constructive if I find anything.

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada