Author Topic: Baptisms 1700s  (Read 1402 times)

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
Baptisms 1700s
« on: Wednesday 08 April 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a baptism for MATTHEW STANLEY. He married Lucy Lea in 1760 in Oldberrow, Warwickshire. It says on the register that both had permission from parents to marry, indicating that they both would have been under 21 at the time of marriage. I think that's correct?

I looked for a baptism of a Matthew Stanley in Warwickshire between the years 1740 and 1748. I couldn't find any. The only Matthew Stanley I found was baptised later, in 1756 Great Alne, Warwickshire. Parent name given as J or I Stanley.

Can anyone help with his baptism? The baptism in 1756 is odd compared to others on the page. It simply lists 'Matthew Stanley son of J/I Stanley was baptised.' All the others state both parents or give the full names of parents.
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.

Offline Warkz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptisms 1700s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 April 15 14:08 BST (UK) »
There was a Matthew Stanly baptised 30 Apr 1735 in Aston Cantlow, 6 miles from Oldberrow. His parents were Matthew and Anna and they were from Great Alne.

The marriage record says "married with consent of parents", so it could mean just one set of parents. A "Lucy Lees" was baptised 23 Dec 1739 in nearby Ullenhall chapel, if she was baptised at a few weeks old she would have been 20 at the time of marriage.

I've had a look at the initial on the Matthew Stanley baptism record in Great Alne in 1756, I think it could be a "T". Thomas and Hannah/Ann Stanly had 3 children baptised there between 1751-1766. Also Matthew and Elizabeth Stanly had a son called Henry who was baptised in 1776 in Great Alne, so I'd be inclined to think that he was the same Matthew from 1756.
Boulton (Staffs), Clayton (Staffs, Black Country, Shrops), Tomlinson (Staffs, Ches), Smith (Staffs, Worcs, Middx), Cyples (Staffs), Sharman (Staffs, Black Country, Herefs), Griffiths (Staffs, Lancs, Middx, Wrexham), Duncalf (Liverpool, Ches)