Author Topic: WWI, Private Paritawa Tewai [aka Paretawa, Paratawa] & WWII, Flight Sergeant.  (Read 20332 times)

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WWI, Private Paritawa Tewai [aka Paretawa, Paratawa] & WWII, Flight Sergeant.
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
You might like to put something onto the RNZAF section of the Wings Over New Zealand Forum
http://rnzaf.proboards.com/ for the pictures.  If you dont want to do that I can put them on if you email me :)
Dee  :)
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Re: WWI, Private Paritawa Tewai [aka Paretawa, Paratawa] & WWII, Flight Sergeant.
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 22 April 15 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hello.

Thanks for the offer. I've got so much on the go at the moment, [burning the midnight oil] and with ANZAC just days away, have taken the easiest way for myself, by linking back to Rootschat which allows me to directly upload photos. My equipment is so old that sites like, Wings over NZ time out, or get get dropped out, because of electrical interference on my country phone line. They are data rich sites, when down loading etc. I don't have social media nor cloud storage memberships.

I had thought about asking Errol MARTYN if he might arrange something for me, but now having had contact with RNZAF ATC units, the photo archivist at the RNZAF Museum etc, I feel that I would/should wait until we can make a comprehensive offer of material found, to the Wings web pages and to the RNZAF Museum. Also I'm not the owner/executor of the album material being found, so first have to have permission to publicly use the material, forwarded for my research.

No doubt some of the photos found would only be duplication, but other material may be considered unique to existing holdings, and help with time lines or identification.

To date both Errol, and the RNZAF Museum, have assisted me greatly with my RNZAF research of those who served, but failed to return. There are still many stories out there, in old letters, diaries, and pilot logs, that are only now being found/rediscovered by the second or third generation. Not once in 55 years, do I remember my Mother talking about the 27 WWII letters she had salted away.

Thanks for the offer, I Will get back when I can see a way forward, because I'm all for having an understanding of our heritage, and honouring the hard work, and sacrifice, of those who have gone before us.

Lest we forget.

- Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline DeeBoneham

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 23 April 15 10:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
Errol Martyn is a great person to speak to about your airman.  He is on the Wings Over New Zealand forum too :)
Dee
75 (nz) Sqn
Boneham
Taylor

Offline Trudyl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 April 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Allan,
Here is a photo of P.Tewai (front row) Returned servicemans football team. Ive resized photo as this programme wont accept large files.
Trudy

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 April 15 06:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Trudy.

What a great picture. I will add it to the 20 odd pages of info found, that will be on display tomorrow. I initially sent a 10 leaf clear-file with 22 pages of copy to the Administrator and Principal of the Tokomaru Bay local school, Hatea-A-Rangi, and have since updated that with further finds, over this past week.

A week ago, I doubted we would have found photos in time, so the support we have received is appreciated. A good thing came with me attending my local Church and discovering [surprise surprise] a neighbour's Father, was a colleague of TEWAI. Prayers answered in the least expected ways.

I attached some info to the Cenotaph yesterday, and on my way home this afternoon see the first tributes laid upon the steps, so assume the Gordondon Primary School, held a service there today.

If any Ngati Porou in Hamilton, this weekend, would like to attend our 10 am service [& cuppa after]they would be most welcome.

Make themselves known to any organizer, and they will point in my direction or that of Amo PENE's Gt niece. We will be happy to host, and we are only 15 minutes away from the city. Allow a little time for parking though, as it could be at a premium. There is seating for 150 in the Community hall and usually another 50 or more seats are brought across from the Church and or the College.

Lest we forget.

- Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 25 April 15 04:09 BST (UK) »
An eight year old wish full filled. 200 seated and I counted over 150 standing in the hall. The most I've seen attend in recent years. More tonight re some interesting issues arising. - Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 25 April 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
Inside display.

Inside the hall a display table was set up underneath the permanently displayed Rolls of Honour plus the Komakorau one, on loan from that community hall, which now resides in the grounds of the Gordonton Primary School. Being shifted after the Komakorau Primary School was amalgamated with Gordonton.

On the opposing side I set up a display table, and two display boards as part of our Adopt an ANZAC project. 20 pages about the RIDDELL Brothers and H. C. WELCH, and 17 pages for this years Adoptee, Paritawa [sic] TEWAI.  Good interest was shown, and I now have next years adoptee in mind, as I was told about brothers, not all of whom returned, and of the existence of a diary, that made it back.

Several people approached me about what they believed were errors with the names so recorded, or inconsistencies between the inside rolls, and those names, as inscribed, on the Obelisk. Some were quite assertive that changes should be made to the Obelisk/Cenotaph before we celebrate its 100th anniversary October 16, 2018.

Herein lies a dilemma for the Gordonton Community Committee, an advisory committee under the patronage of the Waikato District Council. Glad I’m not on it.

You see, today’s deemed ‘best practise’ with inscriptions on graves and monuments is a minimalistic one, of doing as little as possible to alter them. Render them safe, but don’t water-blast them with gusto, and thereby hasten natural erosion, especially on the likes of concrete and sand stone.  Go very softly softly with physical and chemical removal of vegetation. And where it is seen fit to draw attention to inscription errors [that can be proven beyond doubt] do so by adding supplementary engraved stone or plate etc, noting errata’s.

Aside from human engraving errors, there are numerous other reasons why what is in print is not quite how you, or your family would expect it to be. Dad registered the kids name, and did not spell it the way mum expected, it was going to be done. Family used one way, public records showed another.

One family in this community found themselves being told it would be easier to deed poll change the spelling of their name, than it would be to change the incorrect spelling of their family name, that got past the final reading on an act of the NZ Parliament, assigning them a new parcel of land, as compensation for a crown title, in dispute with other parties.

Underage brothers were known to have gone to WWI using their older brother’s birth certificate, leaving no end of trouble for their officially ‘dead’ brother back in NZ. In some cases past the day they naturally died affecting probate and life insurance issues. Trying to “correct” especially Commonwealth War Graves inscriptions can be a very big mission, and some Mothers died before the next generation succeeded in getting a change made.

In the Gordonton Cenotaph’s case the Obelisk, as the erecting committee referred to it, was unveiled before wars end, and the detailed report in the Waikato Times noted that, “other men have left the district and their names will be added as soon as possible.” It also notes that, “a parchment was laid in the foundation stone with details of the subscribers and the committee.”

In light of the fact that there are still residents in their 90’s who delight in recalling that some families were despised because they chose not to have any thing to do with the project, ‘in case the country was over run by the enemy’ the above suggests to me that family consent was first obtained before names were engraved, and as it appears that a few inscribed names were not included in that Waikato Times article, opportunity presumably was there for families ‘of that time’ to have sought redress.

Therefore to my mind arises the question of “who are we to be making changes now, nearly 100 years later.?” 

Much food for thought for the Gordonton Community.

- Alan.

PS EDIT:  Afraid I'm a skip reader so spelling, and proof reading my own copy, is not my strong point. However after futher research today, I believe the two brother's named as WALSH on the Cenotaph, should have been named as WELCH. That is how their family name appears on the Primary school roll, their Army records, and the Waikato Times reporting upon the unveiling. Though why it was not changed when more WWI names were added, a little time later, I do not know. - Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
TEWAI research - round up for now.
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 21:50 BST (UK) »
Hello all.

Thanks Rootschat, and members, for making this search possible.

If any person is gifted at doing wild card searches, on genealogy recording sites, using only the christian names of the children named in Tewai's funeral notice, that would be appreciated.

Novis, Lynette and Dick.

We have yet to make contact with family associated with these named nieces and nephews.

Otherwise our objectives have been achieved for ANZAC, namely finding about the man, where he was born, how he served, and where he was buried. Plus get some photos, and open a dialogue between his home patch Tokomaru Bay, and a district some considerable distance away, that saw fit to acknowledge him in 1918.

Yesterday I took a compas with me as I knew I would be passing the Obelisk, and to my surprise North was further around than I expected. My thinking was some 20 degrees out, to add to my previous confusion, where at various times I have referred to the various faces either how I thought they were facing, and on other occasions how I was facing. For the record the main face FOR HUMANITY, honouring the fallen, and facing the road, is facing due South. The TEWAI inscription facing EAST, faces Hukanui Park. The face with the incomplete date faces due North and the hall, and we now know that the inscriptions facing West towards the shops, were added after the unveiling, as the engravings thereon, were not named in the full Waikato Times unveiling report, though it acknowledged that there were more names to be added, to account for those who had only recently left for overseas.

SPADES you can park up this post when ready. Search engines will still find in with a name search if more info is to turn up.

Regards all,  THANKS.

- Alan.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hello there. Here is a thread update.

1. We now have details of a WELCOME HOME evening having been held at Gordonton in June 1918 for Private Tewai.

2. Yesterday a clipping arrived in surface mail, from a Gisborne Genealogy Society Member from an article re our search, in the Gisborne Herald dated April 24.

I’ve been advised today by the Editor, that next week the reporter will run copy updating the research. Tonight Mr Google finally found me a link for the not so common name of Novis. On it’s own it gives details of the British Lyons football match at Gisborne  in July 1930. Then Archway court records gave me the name of Novis Bryan McKEE (dec.,) and low and behold there is a McKEE Genealogy family page, and it has family links to Tokomaru Bay and Mulligan families, so I’ve posted on their thread, and wait in hope of a reply.

Alan.