Author Topic: Greenway family, Alderney  (Read 7021 times)

Offline monsterkoda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenway family, Alderney
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 April 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
Rosie: also the information you have re Mildred Mason appears to be correct

Offline Alynn MacLean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 April 15 01:18 BST (UK) »
I believe that they were married in Canada, yes.  I am thinking that Wintonia is really Winona, as I can't find a Wintonia anywhere.  Interesting about another child before our father, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I always wondered if our dad was the only Canadian born child.
Thank you for all of the information so far.  My sister and I have been trying to find our roots, and it has been an arduous journey thus far.
Our father would have been a baby when they went to Guernsey as he was born in 1935.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 April 15 09:22 BST (UK) »
Have you managed to get a marriage certificate for William and Adele which might help with the name of his father /witnesses ...Do you have access to Ancestry as there is a private tree which has some detail for a military marriage 1913 ...perhaps you could contact the owner or if you want I could pm you ...I don't know when William came to Alderney but a good possibility he is there 1911 ...Do you have any death dates for these people assuming they remained here ? they were at St Peter Port Guernsey when their son Ronald was killed during the war ...

Offline monsterkoda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 April 15 13:43 BST (UK) »
We are on ancestry and have contacted the person to whom you referred and she actually helped us contact some of the Alderney relatives.  There was nothing other than names on the marriage record (greenway/coombes)
I do not know dates yet as information is not as fast as I would like and we don't want to push ourselves into someones's life.  I have asked some questions but I don't know that this person knows.  There is a living daughter from William and Adele and a brother from William's second marriage but we cannot get to them. Is there some other site that we should be looking at? 

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 April 15 14:28 BST (UK) »
When did William's second marriage take place might be a father's name on that not sure of other sites ..I always find Ancestry very good or find my past ...Do you have the army records for William to see if that comes up with anything .. :)

Offline monsterkoda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 April 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
I don't have that information but know it was after Adele past away.  I don't know what her name was but they had a son Glynn who I believe is still alive.  I don't know how you are finding your information but thank you for your help.  I hope "Glynn" can take you somewhere that I cannot go.

re: army records.  I have scoured through WW1 records on ancestry and there are several William Greenway's but not knowing who he really is may have come upon him but did not know.  May I ask where you found that he might be in Alderney 1911?

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 April 15 12:45 BST (UK) »
Yes I have seen a few Army Records myself but it's finding the right one this looks like a possible
William Greenway on the British Medal Rolls regiment number 11850 Royal Garrison Artillery Lieut/Major ...have sent you P M

Just to add Address Longy Road Alderney  :)

Offline monsterkoda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 April 15 14:41 BST (UK) »
This is what I just received from greatwarci.net
He was definitely a Bombardier with the Royal Artillery based in
Alderney in 1911 according to the CI census. A medal index card shows
a Wlliam Greenway living at White Gates, Longy Road Alderney after WW1
 and it appears he did end up as a Major. He went from Bombardier to
sergeant to Battery Sergeant Major to Lieutenant to Major! I am
assuming these are both the same person. if so he married in 1913.
I will look into all this in more detail and get back to you.

Just wish I could see the records.  Maybe they will and I can find his parents.   Also I really want to know if he was there in time to be my grandfather's father.  Which will lead me down another path with probably no answers. 
Jodi