Author Topic: Do you know anything about cars and registration plates please?  (Read 4644 times)

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know anything about cars and registration plates please?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 April 15 00:35 BST (UK) »
As far as i know, there was no IG reg.
All the IA to IZ were Irish numbers in county alphabetical order, and IF was Cork and IH was Donegal with nothing in between . . we didn't have 3-letter numbers here until after the war

maybe AIG, BIG etc were used much later . . in 1950s or 1960s?

maybe Fermanagh got IG around this time.

Enniskillen

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 April 15 11:04 BST (UK) »
You may get the answer from these people :-

http://www.plates4less.co.uk/private-number-plates/BIG%20508/#MoreResultsContainer

as they have several "BIG" plates for sale.

Regards

Malky

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 April 15 11:24 BST (UK) »
This is what I found:-

http://www.kingkong.demon.co.uk/where/gb.htm.

Admittedly it doesn't make sense to me. There are two lists, new followed by old. IG Enniskillen is on old list. PP is shown as Preston, KX as Luton.

We lived in South Bucks. Virtually all cars were *PP or *KX, until replaced by *BL Reading.

Added: This vehicle is c1936 - 1939. Certainly pre-war, my father had a Ford V8 Pilot c1948 and the grille and bumper were quite different. 
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 April 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
Using Ben G Platt as a search point I believe this picture is taken in Thorne South Yorkshire

The site I found info from says of Thorne Market Place and Church St ''  Back in the First World War period, the corner shop was William Hallgarth's, patent medicine vendors, with a cafe next door (and a bus stop from the mid nineteen-twenties) and the boot and shoe shop was Ben G. Platt's''

This might put the period between the wars

Also I think it is a 1 and not I.

Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 10 April 15 12:46 BST (UK) »
Using Ben G Platt as a search point I believe this picture is taken in Thorne South Yorkshire

The site I found info from says of Thorne Market Place and Church St ''  Back in the First World War period, the corner shop was William Hallgarth's, patent medicine vendors, with a cafe next door (and a bus stop from the mid nineteen-twenties) and the boot and shoe shop was Ben G. Platt's''

This might put the period between the wars

Also I think it is a 1 and not I.
I don't know about the car reg, but Thorne in Yorkshire looks good. The pub on the left (that the car is parked outside) looks very much like the White Hart in the centre of town, looking towards the (now) Halifax (the shop on the right "May....."), whilst "Ben G.Platt" is now "Bet James" (or covered in scaffold, depending on where you "stand" in Google maps)

Offline confused73

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 10 April 15 12:51 BST (UK) »
Suddenly remembered,the old A A books used to have a list of number plates and where they came from. Would a library have an old copy?
Bottle,Wheatley Marsh, Williams, Dowling,    Penrose, Gilbert

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 April 15 12:54 BST (UK) »
Quote from: ReadyDale
I don't know about the car reg, but Thorne in Yorkshire looks good. The pub on the left (that the car is parked outside) looks very much like the White Hart in the centre of town, looking towards the (now) Halifax (the shop on the right "May....."), whilst "Ben G.Platt" is now "Bet James" (or covered in scaffold, depending on where you "stand" in Google maps)
The site I looked at suggested it was a Maypole Dairy Chain shop at one time
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 10 April 15 13:06 BST (UK) »
Found this:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/loose_grip_99/2746396525/in/photostream/
Taken from the same angle. The pub still has the lamp above the front door and corner sign (now both gone from google maps) and before Ben.G Platt and Maypole Dairy got revamped and received new windows.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 10 April 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, many thanks to you all for your replies, yes you are correct with Thorne, South Yorkshire, the picture is of the market place,
many thanks again for your concise input.

Frank. :)
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands