Author Topic: alice leslie 1865  (Read 11174 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: alice leslie 1865
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 15 April 15 20:39 BST (UK) »
Woodley

I had a thought about Alice and her family
It may put a spanner in the works but can I ask;
other than on Ernest's baptism record have you found a reference to LESWARE?

The reason I ask is that in researching I have come across a few anomalies that were due to incorrect completion of forms.

Found a connection myself
Ernest's birth was registered in the Civil Records as
Ernest LESWARE 1890 Dublin North Q3 V2 P485

I have tried but cannot locate a civil record for Eileen
I suggest you order the official certificate (€4) to see what it says!

Two examples
1 where a groom's name on the church records was shown as his brother's name (1950s)
In this case it was surmised that the priest officiating was better known to the brother and wrote the name in error

2 where a birth certificate showed a neighbour's name (1930s)
In this case it was decided that the person completing the record was distracted and wrote the neighbours names as he was thinking about her instead of the correct mother

Looking at the records the strikethrough is referenced as HH
I take this to be Henry Hogan who recorded the baptism and is named on many of the other records
Could he have in error written the name of a person of whom he was familiar and went back to correct it later?
If you have not found a reference to LESWARE any where else this may be the simple answer to Eileen's parentage

Also if you obtain Alice's death cert there may be further clues or if you could locate Alice's burial place.

Just a warped off thought!

Also Ernest John LESLIE joined the Royal Irish Rifles in 1915 Reg# 8468 or 9468
He gave his mother Alice LESLIE as his next of kin address 47 Upr Dorset Street Dublin
The army record shows he married Elizabeth FANNING in St. Agatha's on Oct 18 1915
He was medically discharged in 1916
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline woodley

• RootsChat Extra
  • wilts lass turned yorks lass
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 16 April 15 19:47 BST (UK) »
again i cant help but keep saying thankyou to everybody here, yes i think in my mind that i had decided that ERNEST JOHN born 1890 is the son of ERNEST JOHN LESWARE, there can be no other provable decision, there are no records to prove otherwise for a start, so if we are all in agreement i think i will settle for a split family line ERNEST JOHN LESWARE on the left and ALICE LESLIE on the right(bless her).... still not had any offers for someone to put all the leslie family in order !!!! XXXX
PAGDEN/PAGDIN.. SPALDING.. SHEPPARD.. baverstock..lesware..leslie

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 16 April 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi MyLuck / Woodley

If I was to hazard a guess, given that Ernest & Alice's first child together was Ernest Junior then they may have made the decision to give him the correct surname (hence the birth cert under surname of Lesware).

NB Did you guys notice that there was 6 weeks between Ernest Junior being born and his baptism ?

So it defo looks to me like the birth cert was gotten first, a delay ensued (probably deciding what to do next) and then they decided to go ahead with a baptism.

I would well imagine that they also made the decision to give the boy the surname Lesware while baptising him.

It's very possible the Henry was a diligent priest and wrote up the register as he was told by Edward & Alice ~ he may have asked more questions afterwards, or even just though general conversation Ernest & Alice may have slipped up and gave away the fact that they weren't married.

It's even possible that either Ernest or Alice may have gone back at a later stage and asked for it to be amended to Leslie.

They most likely made a decision after Ernest's baptism, and the embarrassment I'm sure that happened with the surname being changed that the surname Leslie was the only one to be used going forward.

I have no doubts whatsoever that Ernest John Lesware was the father of both these children, HA brave words as I may be proved wrong  ;D.

Tara

Offline woodley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 17 April 15 19:04 BST (UK) »
i dont think your wrong, i am 90% certain that this is the correct conclusion, that ernest (junior) and eileen leslie are the illigitamate children of ERNEST JOHN LESWARE, if i am wrong then i will look a right pratt because i have tolled everyone(family) that LESWARE/LESLIE is our family tree lines from ireland.. :-*

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 18 April 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
Woodley
do you have Ernest Junior's actual birth certificate?
if not this could be very valuable for information

Ernest LESWARE 1890 Dublin North Q3 V2 P 485

I cannot see a civil reference for Eileen

Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline woodley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 18 April 15 17:49 BST (UK) »
not got actual birth cert yet, a family freind related by another line in ireland is supposed to be going for it this coming week, also while there he will enquire about eileen"s birth, this person also is very very sure that LESWARE/LESLIE is the correct way to go ,

Offline woodley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 25 April 15 13:20 BST (UK) »
TO EVERYONE who helped, thankyou, it now seems that ernest john lesware was looking after his wife emily and her sister alice(fisher), emily could not give him children but alice did, on one birth it says alice lesware formly leslie, mother,  witnessed by sarah fisher, on another it says alice fisher, witnessed by sarah fisher, at the time both births were at sarah fisher"s house, sarah appears to be an auntie due to her being older , alice eventually moves away to glasnevin were she died a pauper in the workhouse. thankyou all

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Saturday 25 April 15 14:41 BST (UK) »
You're welcome - thank you for the update
ALICE FISHER
Further generations: