Author Topic: William Robertson Deputy Lieutenant 26 Jul 1859  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Robertson Deputy Lieutenant 26 Jul 1859
« on: Monday 13 April 15 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hoping for some assistance please.  William Robertson & Mary Musgrave Bowen married in 1858 Pembroke Dock.  William was appointed Deputy Lieutenant of Pembrokeshire on 26 Jul 1859.

William and Mary lived at Llanstadwell, Hazelbeach, Pembrokeshire in Hazel Hill House.  William died 1870.

There are a number of William Robertson's and as you can imagine sifting to locate 'my' William Robertson is challenging. According to the stated age at death he was born about  1798 at Milford, Pembrokeshire but I have no idea of his parents.

My hope is that in his being nominated to a Deputy Lieutenant position there may be some information about his background that will help me to locate his birth and his parents.... Additionally perhaps someone may have a listing of those elected to the deputy Lieutenant position and have some biographical information on William.....

Otherwise someone may have some other information that will help me in my search for Williams background. ;D

Westy11

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Robertson Deputy Lieutenant 26 Jul 1859
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 April 15 17:08 BST (UK) »
If he married in 1858 - a copy of his marriage cert will show his fathers name and occupation

Presumably he was previously married if he was around 60yrs old when he married Mary?

What was his occupation on the 1858 marriage cert and the 1861 entry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 April 15 21:22 BST (UK) »
according to the marriage entry, he was a bachelor & his father Robert Robertson a paymaster captain in the Pembrokeshire Militia. One of the witnesses was a B R Robertson.

There's a baptism on 23 May 1796 at Lambston of a Bowen Robert Robertson son of Robert Robertson & Lettice his wife.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCBP-KN3

Burial for Robert Robertson aged 60 on 4 Jan 1821 at Hubberston, abode noted as Hakin. His widow died in April 1826. Welsh online newspapers confirm this Robert was a paymaster in the militia.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 April 15 23:16 BST (UK) »
1851 2476/174/1

Bowen R Robertson 59 yrs b Stainton, Pembrokeshire is a Liet. half pay R N and Magistrate for County.

British Naval Biographies
Bowen R Robertson, son of Robert Robertson and Laetitia Webb, daughter of Geo. Webb, Hackard, Pembroke. Her mother was Ann Bowen. There is more info re Bowen Robertson and these people.

I am sure you have William Robertson in 1851 where he is a Magistrate, Ship Owner and Timber Merchant. I am assuming that is him.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood, Osprey and CaroleW

From what I understand now William Robertson is not a brother of Bowen Robert Robertson.  I located a book in which Bowen featured and it noted that Bowen had only one brother George which makes sense as his grandfather was George Webb.

A Naval Biographical Dictionary - Volume 3. By William R. O’Byrne. http://tinyurl.com/pcgqzdx

This doesn't mean that Bowen and William were not related.  They obviously had a relationship otherwise Bowen would not have been a witness as William's wedding but what that relationship is I don't know. 

Nonetheless this means I am still looking for William Robertson's parents and my hopes fall back on any information perhaps related to his appointment as Deputy Lieutenant of Pembrokeshire on 26 Jul 1859 or maybe there is a list of JP's.

I am a tad lost as to how else to locate his parents and any ideas will be welcomed.   ???

Given that one of his grandchildren was in the Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) indicates a link back to Scotland and with a name like Robertson it is likely.

Westy11 

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 15:28 BST (UK) »
Strange that he married a Bowen- perhaps that's the connection rather than Robertson.

Odd that both their fathers were Robert ???

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 15:58 BST (UK) »
There is a published Will - Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, for Robert Robertson where some of these names are mentioned. You can find it on Ancestry.
I am sad to say, I took the easy way out, not trying to read it all.
However, There is mention of sons, George William and Bowen Robert I think but you would have to decode it all  ;)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 21:09 BST (UK) »
William was an illegitimate son of Robert. There was a problem caused by Robert's will which William contested after Bowen's death. If you search for Robertson v Powell codicil you should get details of the law case that ensued. The will was written in 1802 & then George Robertson died in 1806 & there was a problem codicil written later. The mother of William, Elizabeth James, is mentioned and there was an illegitimate daughter as well, Jane.

this could be the baptism for William in Steynton, noted as illegitimate son of Elizabeth

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KCB1-XHB
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 21:22 BST (UK) »