Author Topic: Isaac Gibson, Sea Captain  (Read 8604 times)

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Gibson, Sea Captain
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 May 15 14:54 BST (UK) »
Good theory.  ;) Mary Prince was born 1860. Mary Ann Gibson was born 1850. Died 1852. Isaac Gibson died before 1854. If Mary Ann Gibson hadn't died, the Mary Ann Gibson on the marriage certificate would have been lying about her age the other way (which is a more appealing -- although impossible -- theory). I'd like to believe that 27-year-old Mary Ann Gibson lied to her 32-year-old husband, who wanted to believe she was a 22-year-old blushing bride. However, your theory holds water. The other, has more holes than a sieve.

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 June 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
The mystery of the Gibson's and Dales deepens:  There is a baptism record dated 25 December, 1850:   Mary Ann Gibson. Parents: Mary Ann Gibson and Isaac Gibson (Sea Captain), Parish of St. John. Abode: Samuel Street. The baptism record from the GRO is for Mary Ann Gibson, baptized 02 May, 1850. Parents:  Mary Ann Gibson (formerly Dale) and Isaac Gibson (Flatman). The registrant is Mary Ann Gibson, Samuel Street. The child's date of birth is 31st March, 1850. I know this has been beaten to death, but any thoughts on the discrepancies would be appreciated.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 June 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
The baptism record from the GRO

I think you mean the birth certificate recording the registration of the birth. It's not the same thing as a baptism, which often took place much later. 

A "flatman" or "flat man" was a boatman on a flat bottom boat used in shallow waters (mainly rivers and canals) for transport. Apparently the term also came to refer to mariners on shallow-draft coastal sailing vessels.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 June 15 23:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Shaun. That was my thought for the 31 March 1850 birth, with a baptism on 02 May, 1  850. My confusion is with the baptism on 25 December, 1850.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 21 June 15 08:09 BST (UK) »
I'm not seeing any discrepancy with the dates.

- Born 31 March
- Birth registration 2 May
- Baptised 25 December

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 21 June 15 18:49 BST (UK) »
Stupid mistake. Perhaps that's why I'm on the Beginner's Board! The usual Gibson muddiness still prevails: The December baptism lists him as a Sea Captain, while the registration lists him as a Flatman. His marriage entry to Mary Ann Dale lists him as Waterman and his (probably not) daughter lists him as a Sea Captain when she marries Thomas Barnes in 1877. I do have an entry for him in the Merchant Seamen Records, but I'm beginning to wonder if he ever sailed beyond the shores of Chester.

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 26 June 15 02:24 BST (UK) »
This is a post that really requires no comment. However, the changing birth dates of both Thomas Barnes and Mary Ann Gibson/Prince are interesting. The April 30, 1877 marriage certificate shows Thomas as 32 and Mary Ann as 22 (birth years c. 1845 and 1855). However, I have a baptism date of 02 April 1843 (which would make Thomas 34 at the time of the marriage). He is listed in the 1851 Census with a birth date of 1843, and in every Census from 1891 until 1911 as being born in 1843. Mary Ann Barnes starts out with a birth date of 1855, which changes to 1853 by the time of her death in 1908 (her age is given as 55 on her death certificate/year of birth 1853).

Offline Treesearch2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 22:27 GMT (UK) »
It is interesting that, of the "Prince" children, Charles and Elizabeth also named their father as Isaac Gibson, sea captain, on their marriages. (Mary's brother John named his father as Isaac Gibson deceased, master mariner).

The 1871 census shows all the children as Gibson, and the only Mary is the one listed as aged 12. So I too am coming round to the conclusion that the Mary who married Thomas Barnes was the one baptised as Mary Prince in 1860, and that she misrepresented her age on marriage.
Hopefully I can clear up why Charles named Isaac as his father.  Charles Prince Gibson was my 2g grandfather, his daughter was Edith Gibson.  I share dna with descendants of Isaac's sister Jane. That seems fairly conclusive proof that Isaac was Charles's father.