Author Topic: Help Please, I've Lost a Line in Kent....  (Read 7066 times)

Offline HannahJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help Please, I've Lost a Line in Kent....
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 July 04 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

My friend is off to have another look, and she's just got hold of a couple of local history books about Tunbridge Wells, so they might have something.  She's also going to have a look through the trade directories as Henry is a carpenter. She suggested that maybe there was a grandparent (possibly Henry's mother-in-law) in Dale St., as it is quite common for women to go back to their mother's house to give birth (mine did, anyway!)

Hopefully, we might have some info for you soon.

Hannah
Looking for:
Baines - Lancaster; Bainbridge - Westmorland & Lancaster; Bodiam - Hollingbourne, Kent; Edmondson - West Riding / Lancashire border; Faraday - all West Riding; Pankhurst - East & West Farleigh, Kent; Parker - Giggleswick, West Riding; Waller & Redmayne - Ingleton, West Riding
and others...

Offline Dave Os

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 July 04 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah,

Henry's Wife was Susan Sarah Osmond or Sarah depending on what paperwork I read.... anyway her maiden name was Martin

I have just checked the 1881 Census on-line by moving next and previous Households and there is a Harriet Martin aged 51 living at 27 Albert Street
Harriet would have been some 11 or 12 years older that Sarah who died in 1881 aged 40. I am unsure of her birthplace either but Harriet is listed as
Sutton, Essex, England. There isn't a Sutton in Essex though.....

There may not be a link to Harriet but then again it may just be.

I also thought that Henry may have remarried, but I haven't come across another marriage.

Henry's brother Edwin Avis Osmond moved to Hastings, so I again thought maybe Henry may have moved to Hastings to be close to his family.

Best dash as I am at work

Cheers

David
Osmond East & West Sussex, Kent , Wales Canada, & Spokane WA USA
Bohling Sottrum, Germany & London
Berndes Germany & London
Cooper North Walsham, Norfolk

Offline HannahJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 July 04 19:48 BST (UK) »
Right, this is just plain weird. Maybe your family's house fell into an interdimensional vortex or something.
Firstly, Henry doesn't show up on any of the directories for Tunbridge Wells that we could check  either as a private citizen or as 'trade', even for years when we know he was there.
What's more weird, is neither do the houses on Dale Street and Albert Street. There are other houses on both those streets, but not these ones. So when my friend checked the maps for this area, she found that Dale Street only goes up to 26 (but note that the higher numbers are the Albert Street end). And even though Albert Street goes up to number 43, there is no sign of number 30 on any of the maps!
It's so bizarre!

Sorry this doesn't actually help you in any way, but we'll keep digging...it's too interesting to stop now.

Hannah
Looking for:
Baines - Lancaster; Bainbridge - Westmorland & Lancaster; Bodiam - Hollingbourne, Kent; Edmondson - West Riding / Lancashire border; Faraday - all West Riding; Pankhurst - East & West Farleigh, Kent; Parker - Giggleswick, West Riding; Waller & Redmayne - Ingleton, West Riding
and others...

Offline Dave Os

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 July 04 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Hannah,

weird it is.......

This may or may not help, I have another street for you Henry's Parents were living  in Victoria Rd the 1860's

Henry's father died in 1863 and is buried at Woodbury Park Cemetery, although I don't think a grave exists, or I couldn't find one anyway.
His death cert gave Victoria Rd

Henry's mother Sarah nee Filtness remarried in Tunbridge Wells in 1866 to a Benjamin Heaver (Brewer/ Publican) ?
Sarah died in Etchingham, Sussex 1881 ?? (I don't have the paperwork with me for an exact date)
Again on her marriage cert she gave Victoria Rd, Tunbridge Wells.

I haven't managed to search the 1861 Census for any Osmond's maybe I should try that and see if any family members were in any of the roads mentioned.

I just looked at a map of Tunbridge Wells, and looking at Dale Street today, Dale Street is off of Victoria Road.

Although the Victoria Rd dates are maybe 20 years before, could that be of help?

There is also a Prospect Road in TW, but I don't think there is a link to Prospect Cottages

I was going to send you a private mail, but I don't know how to get your address, and again how do I pass mine to you?

Thanks for ALL your assistance, you are a great help... glad your hooked on Henry.. ha ha

David
Berndes Germany & London

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 July 04 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Hannah and David,

To swap personnel addresses with one another it is best to do this by  Personnel instant message.

If you look under the sheild you will see a number of icons, the paper symbol is mail, and the scroll is an instant message.

RootsChat
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Dave Os

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 July 04 18:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks Message sent
Berndes Germany & London

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 July 04 22:45 BST (UK) »

Erm - could that Elvia be an Eliza ?
Suey
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Dave Os

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 August 04 08:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Suey,

Yes it is Eliza nee Philcox born in Hastings
Berndes Germany & London