Author Topic: Rosina PALMER Worcester's lady Mayoress  (Read 9000 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rosina PALMER Worcester's lady Mayoress
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 June 15 11:36 BST (UK) »

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 June 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
If she was a lady mayoress, does that not mean that she was married to the Lord Mayor, not that she held the title in her own right - otherwise she would be the Lord Mayor?
So she did not progress to her Mayoralty, she just followed behind her husband?

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 June 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
Chempat
I think she must have been a full mayor. The picture of her from the site listed in your first message to me looks like a full mayor when compared with other Worcester Mayor Pictures.
It looks like a visit to Worcester might be necessary soon
Again thank you for your interest
Norman

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 June 15 18:38 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought that with picture and MBE etc, but as you put lady mayoress I thought you must have prior knowledge.

Found some listings of mayors in 18th or 17th century, and general information on Worcester in 19th century, but not yet 20th century mayors. (Just to check out when and if)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 June 15 18:41 BST (UK) »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/galleries/collections/worcester-guildhall-1509/foreword

'The functions of local government in the city were gradually reduced during the twentieth century but artists like Ernest Waldron West continued to paint the civic members and officers of the council. His portrait of Rosina Palmer, MBE hangs next to that of Howard Somerville’s portrait of Diana Ogilvy (d.1955), MBE, Worcester’s first woman Mayor, signs of the growing influence of women in local politics between the wars following the Qualification of Women Act of 1907.'

So is Rosina or Diana the first woman mayor?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 28 June 15 18:44 BST (UK) »
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/surnames/topics/palmer/7662/

The above link refers to a search by a person who thinks Rosina was born as Turner.

From the same poster:
'Am looking for Rosina PALMER M.B.E - nee Turner who was a JP from 1923, a Councillor from 1929 and Mayor 1943-1944 in Worcester. I am trying to trace her TURNER relations, can anyone help me please.Anne'

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lauramott/2221461046
(read the discussion below the photo for mention of Rosina)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 June 15 19:01 BST (UK) »
1901 census
Bedwardine St John  Worcester
Thomas C Palmer   31 cashier for cooperative society  Gloucester
Rosina Palmer   27  Worcester
Class: RG13  Piece: 2776  Folio: 23  Page: 20

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 June 15 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Norman
Rosina was a very busy lady!
The “Who’s Who of Worcestershire” published in 1935 indicates that by that date she had been awarded an MBE and was a JP. 
Other information – some of which you already know:-
In 1935 she lived at 44 Ombersley Road, Worcester. Born 1873, Worcester. Daughter of late William Panting. Educated at St John’s Elementary School. Married 1899.

Justice of the Peace for Worcester 1923; member of the Worcester and District War Pensions Committee; Chairman, Children’s Sub Committee; Member of the Worcester City Council since 1929; Member of Worcester Trade and Labour Council.

From  Kelly's Directory 1937 - Her husband Thomas was also JP
Rosina represented St Martins Ward in Worcester and served on the Education Committee.

The City of Worcester Year Book for 1945-6 shows that she and her husband were living at 10 Bilford Road, Worcester. Rosina was one of the six Aldermen to  “go out of office” - but would come back. She was on the following committees in 1945/46 – Education (plus 10 Education Sub committees); the Watch, Lighting and Public Service (plus Lighting Sub committee for St Martin’s Ward)); Health (along with her husband); Housing; General Purposes. She was also one of the Council Manager’s of Rose Hill Open Air School; on the Worcester City Committee for the Care of the Mentally Defective. Elected Representative Trustee of St Martin’s United Charities 1947-1950; National Health Insurance Committee. One of the Council’s representatives for the management of the City of Worcester Homes for Disabled Sailors and Soldiers; Unemployment Assistance Board Advisory Committee (for y.e. 31 Dec 1946; the West Midlands Joint Board for the Mentally Defective (for y.e. 30 Nov 1946).

Following Sub committees -  Health – both she and her husband. Hospital Dairy Etc., and Public Slaughterhouse; Maternity Home (plus the 10 Education Sub Committees) 

In the same book her husband - Councillor T C Palmer was on the following committees – Finance; Electricity; Markets; Health; Reconstruction and Development Committee. A representative trustee for 3 years of Worcester Consolidated Municipal Charities and Hebb’s and White’s Charities (until 1948) and Worcester Municipal Exhibitions Foundation. plus many Council Sub committees.

Miss Diana Ogilvy was the first lady Mayor in 1931/32. I don’t have any information about Rosina being the Mayor. Here’s the Mayor of Worcester’s blog with a contact link -  perhaps the  present Mayor can help you.  http://mayor.worcester.gov.uk/?cat=9

Best Wishes
Jack

Offline NormanE

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 June 15 06:16 BST (UK) »
Thank all of you who have provided me information on Rosina so far.
I am working on this for a friend and like me she is in her late 80's.  She is linked through Rosina's husband Thomas Charles Palmer.  My tree tells me she is the Great Grand Daughter of Rosina's sister -in-law.
My friend remembers being visit by this lady who was grand and understood she was the Mayor of Worcester. This together with the painting convinces me Rosina was the Mayor at some time.
Yes I had worked out that Rosina was a PANTING, although early census documents called her Rose.  Rosina was born 31 August 1873 and baptised in St John's Bedwardine.
I will visit Worcester for the when she was Mayor etc.
Gratefully
Norman