Author Topic: Ancestry trees  (Read 39299 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry trees
« Reply #27 on: Monday 20 April 15 19:45 BST (UK) »
The problem is, however many times people bring up the subject/ complain about it/ moan about it, it will never change. There will always be trees on online sites that are wrong and life is far too short to get annoyed by them. The trees won't be altered, as the owners either think they are correct or they don't care. Who knows, those same people could also be complaining as they think your tree is wrong! If they are happy with their tree containing over a quarter of a million people,most of them not connected, so what! They aren't hurting anyone.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 20 April 15 20:19 BST (UK) »
I will continue to be annoyed, my prerogative. Whilst agreeing there is nothing I can do about it. And yes if the people with duff info  are  happy fair play to them. I rest easy knowing I am right-obviously ;)

Mike if you are still reading all this you sure opened a can of worms with this one. Perhaps we should face facts, we are just a couple of moaning minnies!!  Join the Jane akways says the wrong thing club Lol ;D ;D ;D
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 20 April 15 21:58 BST (UK) »
I have read most of it.

I am now hiding.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:06 BST (UK) »
I have read most of it.

I am now hiding.

Don't be silly. I am with you!! Let's both be bad together!  Let's live life on the edge. Stand by what we think. As Del Boy Said "who dares wins!"  We dare. No one has to agree with us. It what we think and why not?

Why are we wrong and everyone else right?

Keep smiling, I will and nice to meet you.

Jane

Offline flateric999

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:32 BST (UK) »
I rhink online trees should be rated. 5 star for really good well researched and 1 for total waffle. When someone visits they leave a star rating.

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 April 15 22:40 BST (UK) »
I rhink online trees should be rated. 5 star for really good well researched and 1 for total waffle. When someone visits they leave a star rating.

Controversial but I like it!  You think like me. We are in the minority here. Never mind we entitled to our opinions. Or are we!!!!!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
I agree with most of you! ;D

But I simply don't see the point of raising yet another topic on the subject?
Ancestry doesn't care what the trees are like, just as long as they get their subscriptions! ::)

I simply treat each and every tree I look at as badly researched, which MAY offer me some hints.
If the tree is obviously badly done, or a name-gatherer, then I just ignore it.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 09:50 BST (UK) »
I can sympathise with the frustration and the wish to let off steam, but ...

What it says to me is that there is a problem and Ancestry should be sitting up and taking notice.

- How much of what is being said in such topics is actually finding it's way to Ancestry ?

- Is Ancestry bothered ? Will they reply "We provide you with the opportunity but we can't police every entry" ?

regards,
Bob

ps:
The polite answer to those who are irritated by these threads is 'Don't read them' 
In our defense, due to nondescriptive thread titles it's often difficult to know what a thread contains before reading it
I've modified the title to make it easier to choose whether or not to read it.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Inaccurate Ancestry trees
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 10:28 BST (UK) »
I can sympathise with the frustration and the wish to let off steam, but ...

What it says to me is that there is a problem and Ancestry should be sitting up and taking notice.

- How much of what is being said in such topics is actually finding it's way to Ancestry ?
I think perhaps the majority of those of us who have been perturbed/upset/annoyed by what we have seen added to another Ancestry tree have already made comment - to the tree owner; to Ancestry via their own site; by posting on their FB page.    Resulting in what?  Usually nothing, or useless platitudes.

- Is Ancestry bothered ? Will they reply "We provide you with the opportunity but we can't police every entry" ?

regards,
Bob

ps:
The polite answer to those who are irritated by these threads is 'Don't read them' 
  Agreed
In our defense, due to nondescriptive thread titles it's often difficult to know what a thread contains before reading it
  The same goes for every thread I imagine.

I've modified the title to make it easier to choose whether or not to read it.

Thank you for not locking this thread yet Bob, it may be the first one some people have seen regarding their own frustrations, and as mentioned previously, if anyone dips in to read it they certainly don't need to leave a comment to advise of their disinterest.  Just pass on by.