Author Topic: Change in RootsChat "Home" page - Work in Progress  (Read 29905 times)

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Change in RootsChat "Home" page - Work in Progress
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Trystan

I entered and found that pressing the Forum button took me to the Forum. I then navigated as usual.
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
It's a bit rough around the edges at the moment (I'm sorry), but over the next week or so it should look a bit more like it did. So my apologies for it not being ideal, or quite right at the moment.

Well done on keeping us informed and being honest to admit it is not ideal or quite right at moment - many websites don't bother and leave users guessing/totally confused/frustrated.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:51 BST (UK) »
Malky,

That's because it's already on the "home" page.

It can't get any more homlier (unless we turned on a nice log fire on the screen, and brought in a cat to sit infront of it). I'm being silly.  :)

The old page did the same: www.rootschat.com/links/01f6g/ (mind you you can't test that on the old page, because pressing "home" on it will tak you to the new "home" page)

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
I'm old and used to the old ways, of steam driven 5¼ " floppy disk drives. I remembered that the home page was different, which it was in layout terms. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Truth be told, i never used to Home page tab, I always update through the toolbar.

Regards

Malky

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 11:58 BST (UK) »
Malky,

It's hard teaching new dogs old tricks too. You're doing great :)

It's a work in progress. Here's a BBC News article about the whole thing that explains why we had to do something, and that something had to be done before today: www.rootschat.com/links/01f6h/

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 12:07 BST (UK) »
Nothing wrong with it - looks good! 👍👍

What's the problem!  You wanna try navigating through the woods at the Victoria (Aust) BDM Website!  Diabolical!

Cheers
Jeanne 😄

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 15:00 BST (UK) »
Malky,

It's hard teaching new dogs old tricks too. You're doing great :)

It's a work in progress. Here's a BBC News article about the whole thing that explains why we had to do something, and that something had to be done before today: www.rootschat.com/links/01f6h/

Trystan
Hi Trystran,
Crazy of Google to force through all sites must look good on mobiles and ****** how it looks on PC/Laptop. Did they not learn anything from Microsoft's debacle with Windows 8?

Anyways, not your fault, so my feedback - it looks OK on Chrome, but really awful on IE9 (which is all our work PCs are allowed  >:(

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 15:01 BST (UK) »
I think I might be a little different from the others. The "Home" page is where I hang out the majority of the time.

I realise there are things to iron out, but at the moment the images at the top of the page (which used to be on a panel on the right hand side and at the bottom of the page) are really over dominating, and the topic list is lost.

Unsure how the layout will end up, but to my mind the topics should take up a majority of the page and hopefully all topics should be visible on the screen without having to scroll down.

I'm sure it will all work out fine in the end. I hope it doesn't cause you too much angst Trystan.  ;D

Added: Oh dear - just read the link about the reasons for this - what a pain.  >:(

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 April 15 15:47 BST (UK) »
Here's a BBC News article about the whole thing that explains why we had to do something, and that something had to be done before today: www.rootschat.com/links/01f6h/

Trystan

I've just read the BBC article link and heard about changes to websites on the news a couple of days ago.
I administer a website for a local group of a charity. I didn't set up the site originally, so I don't know all the details of how it works, I just update the odd page when necessary.
Any tips on how to make it mobile friendly, please?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott