Author Topic: Samuel Gilmore, New Orleans  (Read 7393 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Gilmore, New Orleans
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:08 BST (UK) »
According to the following site, Mary C Bier's parents were John Calvin Stevenson and Sarah Elizabeth Cole.  C.J. Bier appears to be Charles John Bier and his parents were Charles Christian Bier and Mary Catherine Stevenson.  Perhaps the Biers were "just" friends of Mary Ann (not related to her)?
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=16144736

Sadly, Mr. Bier passed away in 1913 and Mrs. Bier passed away in 1914.  I wonder if Mary Ann was still alive at that time?
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 08:50 BST (UK) »
I think the Mrs J Bercegeay you found living in Hammond in 1910 is 'my' Mary Ann. Goodness knows where she ended up or when she died. By strange con-incidence I have cousins who in Hammand, La.!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey:

I've not been able to find anything for Edward J.   :-\

Maybe your cousins might be able to "have a look around" Hammond for Mary Ann?

My mum's cousin, "John", lives in a small town in England.  Several years ago, when I was trying to find more information about a brickwall ancestor on my dad's side, John said he would do what he could to search for me.  As it turns out, John lives about 15 miles away from my ancestor's town!  Out of anywhere in England that he could have lived - it was just a few towns away from my ancestors.  Coincidences in genealogy can be really strange.

Best of luck with finding Mary Ann and Edward.  Should you find any other clues, please do let us know.  Perhaps there is still more that can be uncovered.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 09:16 BST (UK) »
I'm wondering if Samuel Gilmore & son Edward would have been buried in Metairie Cemetery in New Orleans. I know that brother Thomas' family are all there (huge vault that looks like a gothic chapel) - 30 years or more ago I wrote to Metairie asking for his burial details and they sent me records for everyone interred in the vault. If Samuel & Edward are also there then Samuel's first wife Louise and a possible infant from that marriage might also be with them.
Not sure if Edward Gilmore was really married. The 1900 census indicates he was but I can't find a female married Gilmore in New Orleans in the same census whose husband was absent from home. If he was married it was perhaps only shortly before the census. Burial records might, or might not, help find his wife.

Forgot to add that Thomas & Samuel had an unmarried sister, Mary, who died in New Orleans in 1909- wonder if she could be buried at Metairie. At the time I asked about Thomas I thought Mary had stayed in Massachusetts (even though Mary was living in New Orleans in 1850).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 09:32 BST (UK) »
Apparently, 59% of the interments have been photographed:
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=68207&CScn=metairie&CScntry=4&CSst=20&

I'll visit this thread again tomorrow after work.  ;) Good night for now.