Author Topic: John James Ferguson born circa 1864  (Read 6845 times)

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John James Ferguson born circa 1864
« on: Wednesday 22 April 15 22:39 BST (UK) »
Ok so I am trying to find John James Ferguson born circa 1864 prior to his marriage to Agnes Croan.  I attached their marriage in the previous post.

Clearly his marriage to Agnes Croan is stumping everyone ... ie. what was John's father's given name and his mother's maiden name  :-\  I can't do much without those.

Given the common name of John Ferguson, looking for him on the census has been awful!

Anyway, when John and Agnes' son also a John James Ferguson marries Rebecca Walker in 1912 he lists his Dad's profession as Seaman Merchant service.

So now I am wondering what kind of records might be available for the seamen merchant service that maybe will help me with his Dad's name??

Thoughts
WOODAGE (East London);
SPEAR (Laneast, Cornwall);
FRENCH (Rye/Hastings, Sussex);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
JARVIS (Houghton, Norfolk);
KING (Wortham,Suffolk- Hove, Sussex);
FLEMING(Logierait & Dowally, Perthshire);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John James Ferguson born circa 1864
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 April 15 10:13 BST (UK) »
Picking up this and the duplicate thread at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=718855

There's a family in 9 Leith Street Terrace, Edinburgh St Andrew in the 1881 census (transcription) consisting of
Mrs Ferguson/head/widow/born Ireland
John Ferguson/son/18/Assistant spirit merchant/born Glasgow
Maryann Ferguson/daughter/13/born Glasgow
Margaret Reid/granddaughter/4/born Edinburgh
John Reid/grandson/3/born Edinburgh

I note from the IGI that a Mary Ann Ferguson was born in Glasgow on 20 December 1866, parents Terrence Ferguson and Mary Toller. John James' father's name looks like Harry on that marriage certificate. But imagine that John James, with a strong Glasgow/Irish accent, is telling the Edinburgh registrar that his father was Terry Ferguson. Might the registrar have misheard that as Harry?

The Ferguson household above contains two grandchildren with the surname Reid. If you get the birth certificate of one of them it should tell you the date of the marriage of Miss Ferguson to Mr Reid, and this marriage certificate will also tell you the names of Miss Ferguson's parents, and therefore those of her (presumed) brother John James.

I see that Scotland's People has two deaths of John James Ferguson(s) born 1862 plus or minus three years. If one of these is your man, his death certificate should also tell you his parents' names, assuming of course that whoever registered the death actually knew that.

You could also try the 1871 census, using James as the first name and Mary or Mary Ann or Maryann as the second name in the household. There could be other siblings whose birth certificates would tell you their mother's surname.

I note that John James Ferguson and Agnes Croan were married in a Roman Catholic church. Have you looked at the Roman Catholic records on Scotland's People?

Could John James have been born in Ireland rather than in Glasgow as the 1881 census says?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 April 15 14:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian

I will get Scotland's people to re-scan the document thank you.

Your deductions are very insightful and quite helpful too. 
From the scan of John's marriage in 1883 to Agnes Croan I cannot see though that John's father is listed as 'deceased' which he would have been if the 1881 census below is him?

As far as being born in Ireland - it is entirely possible that John Ferguson was born there???

Thank you again
WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 April 15 15:21 BST (UK) »
From the scan of John's marriage in 1883 to Agnes Croan I cannot see though that John's father is listed as 'deceased' which he would have been if the 1881 census below is him?

Yes, that is true. Also SP has no deaths of Ter*Ferg*sons between 1866 and 1881. So it is quite possible that I am entirely wrong.

Can you find John and Agnes in the 1891 census?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LUV

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 April 15 16:25 BST (UK) »
I really do like your take on this Forfarian

Sometimes things just make sense so I am going to pursue this a bit .... as on John & Agnes' marriage, his mother's maiden name looks like Toller.... I have sent the request for a re-scan.

In the meantime I found Terrence Ferguson and family on the 1871 in Glasgow.
He is 36 and listed as I believe an 'iron work' labourer (again crappy scan... :-\ sent a request)

Interesting is that on John's marriage to Agnes, Harry (perhaps Terry from above  ;) ) looks like his profession is also listed as being 'iron work' labourer?

Now what is also interesting is that on the 1871 census it looks like John then age 9 is listed as 'step son' as is an older sister Margaret 19 'step dau'.  Maryann is 4 and listed as dau (daughter).

So if it is the correct family, either Terrence was dead by John's 1883 marriage or, he had simply abandoned the family and Mary self declared herself a widow?  But if it is the right guy, even though "Terry" was his step father he must have been the only father that John knew then.

I checked the catholic marriage nothing for John and Agnes.

I'll see if there is anything for Terrence anywhere after 1871

WOODAGE (East London);
PERCIVAL (Downe, Kent);
LOVE (Ireland Co.?)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 April 15 17:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You may already have this from A*y?

Terence Ferguson & Mary Toller were married 13 Nov 1863 Hutchesontown, Glasgow

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 April 15 17:42 BST (UK) »
.....which puts him boarding with James Roarke & family at 33 Bank Buildings, Old Monkland in 1861.  Born 1833, Ireland.

brigau

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 April 15 18:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

Birth for Mary Ann Ferguson 20 Dec 1866 Glasgow High Church Parents Terrence Ferguson and Mary Toller. (On Acy.and family search).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 April 15 18:29 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Terence Ferguson is again boarding.  In the same house is Bernard Ferguson, transcribed Barnard b. 1835 Ireland.  Possibly a brother?  If so there is a family tree for him with wife, Sarah & parents Hugh Ferguson (1807 - 1859) & Agnes McMillan/Mullan/McMulkin (1811-1877).  Bernard also has a sister, Elizabeth (1835-1904) who married John Tollan in 1852.  Maybe a connection to Terence  :) or maybe not  :(