Author Topic: Mitchell Family - Leicestershire and Scotland  (Read 2759 times)

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Mitchell Family - Leicestershire and Scotland
« on: Friday 24 April 15 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi :)
I am a total newbie, and this is my first (rather long) post, so I hope I have put this in the right place.
I have just recently begun to research my family history and so far have only been looking at census forms online. I've found some links to traveller/ gypsy families (mostly around Leicester and Birmingham ) But as I'm learning more, things are becoming a bit complicated and I would love some help or input about my Mitchell family.

I don't necessarily think this family are Gypsies ( their occupations suggest not, but the jobs listed are all taken from census forms from 1841 onwards ). I don't know what they did before 1841 for work, but they certainly seemed to travel about alot, judging by where their children were baptised. They finally settled in Haydons Yard, Brittannia Street, St Margarets, Leicester around 1838/9.

So I can't work out if they were travellers, or if perhaps Charles was in the army and they followed him about, or if they just moved about for work. I hope someone here might have a better idea than me. I've got them listed below :-

Charles Mitchell - Head - Born around 1802 - Kibworth or kilworth, Leicestershire - FWK
Isabella Mitchell - Wife - Born abt 1801 - Selkirk, Scotland - Stocking Seamer
James Mitchell - Son - Born abt 1821 - Ireland - FWK
Charles Mitchell - Son - Born 1823- St Marys Leicester - FWK ( but was in the Civil Guard in 1861)
John Mitchell - Son - born 1827 - Kibworth, leicestershire - Stocking weaver
Susannah Mitchell - Dau - born 1832 -  Bruntingthorpe, Leicestershire -
Robert Mitchell - Son - born 1833 -  Edinburgh, Scotland - Dyer /Trimmer
Joseph Mitchell - Son - born 1835 - Hawick, Scotland - FWK
William Mitchell - Son - born 1843 - Leicester - Stocking Weaver
Isabella Mitchell - Dau - born 1839 - Leicester - Seamer
Isabella Mitchell - Grand daughter - born 1850 - Ireland-  ( only on 1851 census )

I've been unable to find any baptism record for Charles Mitchell senior,in either Kibworth or Kilworth and I can find no marriage for Charles and Isabella, so i have no idea of her surname. No other member of the family appears to have been in the militia around Leicester. Sadly Joseph was in an Asylum around 1870's/1880's and is not listed in 1861 census, which may be why they remained in one place. Also, John Mitchell is listed in the Scottish census of 1881 in Hawick, as a Wool Frame Knitter, but is back in Leicester again in 1891.

If anyone can shed any light on this family, I would be really grateful.

Thanks for reading
regards Ax

Offline rob g

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Family - Leicestershire and Scotland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 April 15 09:44 BST (UK) »
hi. ax. I am Robert Mitchell. I have a family tree site. on myheritage. feel free to view. I have traced my Romany folks back to 1600s. but my Mitchell paternal side. goes back to 1800s burslem staffordshire. there are lots of gypsy Mitchell's in the south of england. my family have been in the north of England since 1740s. Liverpool. pot hawkers general dealers. try Romany genes site. Romany jib. but there are lots. looking at your post. the trades are not gypsy ones. but? we turn our hands to many things. and between census takes. who knows what they may have done?. anyway if I can be of help. feel free to message me. rob
romany history, mitchell family history. Earthenware. general . And horse. I dealers/hawkers. market trading.  lancashire. cumbria. staffordshire.scotland. paternal, side. wilson. lee. burton. miller .burnside. Smith. varey. howard. Jones. Lowther. Evens. Ward. Dale.maternal, side. miller cumbria, stewert. mitchell. allan. Ireland. donaghue, Kelly. Murphy. Young. Plus many others. .

Offline alfietcs

• RootsChat Extra
  • The Gari Boys ( and girls! )
    • View Profile
Re: Mitchell Family - Leicestershire and Scotland
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 April 15 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob
Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.
I will certainly have a look at your tree and I would like to message you at some point.
I would really like to know more about my family and yours sound fascinating as well.

best wishes
Ax