Author Topic: Under age soldier 1825  (Read 1162 times)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Under age soldier 1825
« on: Saturday 25 April 15 19:54 BST (UK) »
According to his Record of Service, a certain John Baker enlisted in the 46th Regiment of Foot on 23 July 1825, aged 17 years (number of months blank). The table showing periods of service in each rank starts with

Rank            From           To              Years Days
Private    23 July 1825  22 July 1826   under age
Private    23 July 1826  31 Dec  1828    2      161

Does any one know what age limit was being applied?  Could it mean that he turned 18 on 23 July, or some other age, or was it just that if you joined under age, the first year didn't count whenever your birthday was?

His age at discharge on 22 Aug 1848 was given as 40  9/12 years, suggesting his birthday was around December.

Thanks
David

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Under age soldier 1825
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 07:42 BST (UK) »
I have not come across a 12 month probation before. If that is what it is. I am not sure it says 9/12. The only way to be sure is to look at the muster books for when he joined and when he was discharged. They are in the National Archives and not online.

Ken

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Under age soldier 1825
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 April 15 09:59 BST (UK) »
I have a relative born Dec 1799. He joined up on 6 July 1811 as a bugler. His army record says his length of service which counts towards his pension can only be counted after the age of 18 years.

See attached image.

Seems a bit unfair that seven years service (in his case) wasn't counted.

Added.
It looks like your man was also 18 and a half (like mine) when the length of service got counted. I don't know whether there was an additional six months probation after 18th birthday, or it just happened that it was counted from the anniversary of enlistment which fell after their 18th birthday.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott