Author Topic: Eileen Mary Sellars  (Read 8332 times)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eileen Mary Sellars
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 April 15 11:47 BST (UK) »
Not a young death, and birth year out, but for consideration:

Deaths
   MS Eileen Mary Saben  born  4th January 1922, died 11th December 2007, Lowestoft

Probate Grant and Will

Added
?
Births March quarter 1922 Eileen M Sellars / Larkin  Hammersmith
But her father looks like Sidney.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 April 15 13:25 BST (UK) »
Have spent 1 credit looking for a male Boulton birth 1940/41 in Scotland- 4 results, none named Philip (or with initial P) but any/all could still be alive so will send to OP by PM in case there later turns out to be a connection.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 26 April 15 13:41 BST (UK) »
Does the marriage certificate give an occupation or address for Eileen. 

One problem with your original post requesting a baptism for Eileen is that Driffield reg district covers lots of places
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/driffield.html
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 26 April 15 14:18 BST (UK) »
aghadowey

I looked for Phillip, Hugh, James and Nigel births in Scotland, but found nothing.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 26 April 15 14:19 BST (UK) »
aghadowey

I looked for Phillip, Hugh, James and Nigel births in Scotland, but found nothing.

I searched for male Boulton born 1940/1941 and got 4 results. Details have been sent to OP by PM.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline louise182

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 26 April 15 14:46 BST (UK) »
I had no idea my 'simple' question would arouse such a flood of responses. Thank you, everyone.

Unfortunately, no-one in the family in Australia knows the facts other than what I'm stating here. Philip had an only sibling, a brother in the RAAF who was injured in WW2 and had no children, and his unmarried uncle in the Australian artillery was killed on the Western Front in WW1. His aunt (my grandmother) was the only sister of Dr Nigel Boulton, who was a doctor in the RAMC in WW1. My mother, in her 90s, remembers only that her cousin Philip supposedly had a son and my mother also 'thinks' that Eileen died young, which is Mum's reason for why the family lost contact. It may not be true.

There was no child before Philip's marriage, as he did not arrive in England until June 1939 and he met Eileen soon afterwards. Philip wrote a letter to his father at the time of his marriage in January 1940, saying there were no plans for children until the war was over, but further letters from him have not survived. 'Accidents happen', so Eileen could well have had a child before or just after he was killed (29 May 1941). She was working in the Auxiliary Territorial Service when they married.

The family in Australia would have been strangers to her and she probably felt her duty was done in sending the few photos that we have here.  There is a photo of a child aged about two, while the child in the photo taken at Alperton Cemetery looks to be about six years of age. The photos are undated and unidentified, except for a later annotation 'Philip's son'.

Just to reassure anyone reading this topic, in past years I've looked everywhere I can think of without actually spending any money on BDM certificates of possibe relevance to Eileen. I've now concluded that the most important piece of data at this stage would be to find her exact date of birth, so that I can narrow down the options for her death under various possible surnames.

When I started this topic earlier today, a number of messages ago,  I was pretty sure she must have been the Eileen M Sellars whose birth was registered at Driffield in the Dec Qtr of 1920. From everyone's feedback, I realise that I should forget about finding the baptism and instead I should purchase the 1920 Driffield cert and also the 1922 Hammersmith cert.

Thank you, everyone, for your help.

PS Thanks for the search in Scotland but there has never been any mention of a Scottish connection.

PPS Before i close, I'm wondering how to get a copy of the will for the 2007 death of Eileen Mary Saben, should I discover that I need that. The will would presumably state at least one family member.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 26 April 15 16:11 BST (UK) »
You can get a copy of the will here:

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

You need to register, pay your money, and the will can be downloaded a few days later.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 26 April 15 16:54 BST (UK) »
The mothers maiden name on the birth reg for Driffield is Scott.  Also registered in Driffield RD in 1914 is a Gladys V M Sellars (mmn Scott)

Gladys appears as a child of James Sellars who according to his army record married Jane (aka Jeanie) Scott in Driffield reg district in 1914.

His army records are on FindMyPast
James Sellars      
British Army Service Records 1914-1920   
Driffield, Yorkshire

He was a gunner in the machine gun corps regt no 80579 and came from East Lutton, Malton, East Yorks. 

Marriage Mar qtr 1914   
Jane Scott    (spouse Sellars)
James Sellars (spouse Scott)
Driffield RD    9d   540   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 April 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
On the records showing on ancestry he is in farm service - so not an electrical engineer, though his profession could change.