Author Topic: David Driscoll, born Merthyr Tydfil  (Read 8034 times)

Offline judy purssell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Driscoll, born Merthyr Tydfil
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 April 15 16:39 BST (UK) »
I have David Driscoll's marriage certificate and his father's name is Daniel Driscoll (dec'd).  The witnesses are both Williams's, relatives of my grandmother, Hannah Williams.  The marriage took place in 1895, and he gives his age as 22 - making his year of birth 1873.  There are two births registered in Merthyr in 1872, but the spelling is wrong - Driskel.

I have been scratching around trying to find him for ages now, but didn't realise that births did not have to be registered until after 1874/5.

The rumour in the family is that David went over to America and married Ann there, but no idea where in the States.  It was also rumoured that she was one of the Evans family, who owned the coal mines in the Valley, but I'm not sure how true that was. 

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 April 15 17:51 BST (UK) »
...There are two births registered in Merthyr in 1872, but the spelling is wrong - Driskel.

That's just another version of Driscoll so you shouldn't rule it out on that basis.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:04 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:07 BST (UK) »
I would suggest you buy a copy of the Driscoll/Jones 1875 marriage cert.  Not only will it show whether Ann was a widow but it will show her fathers name and therefore her maiden name

There is no marriage for a Daniel Driscoll to anybody called Ann prior to 1875 as you already know despite there potentially being 2 daughters born before David

I still can't understand why you were looking at births for David in 1868 if his marriage cert and subsequent census entries all pointed to him being born 1872/1873
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Heywood - so we have all just wasted our time re-posting information and advice that was given 12 months ago. ::)

Judy

Duplicate posts just waste all our time and efforts - you don't appear to have acted on the advice given 12mths ago which was exactly the same as in my own reply above.  Until you buy a copy of that marriage cert - you will not advance your research

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy,

You say you have wasted money on certificates, was the Driscoll/Jones marriage one of them?
Why do you think he was born 1868

Heywood

Offline judy purssell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:37 BST (UK) »
I think there is a bit of confusion here.  I am trying to establish who my grandfather's mother was.  He was David Driscoll.  I am told his mother was Ann, but I can't find any evidence of that.  Ann Driscoll maried Evan Morgan Jones in 1875 I know, but that doesn't tell me whether she was David's mother.  What I can't find is a marriage between DANIEL Driscoll (my great grandfather) and Ann.  What I want to find is David's birth certificate showing the name of his mother.  I got the marriage certificate for David and Hannah a year ago as suggested, and that gives his father's name (Daniel Driscoll) but not his mother's.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:48 BST (UK) »
In your previous post it was suggested that you bought the 1875 marriage cert for Ann Driscoll and Evan Morgan Jones for the reasons stated.

You may want to consider sending for that Driskel birth cert but put a condition on it that fathers name should be Daniel.

Have you checked the 1871 census for Ann?  If the 2 girls shown in 1881 were really Driscoll then at least "Maggie" was born before that census

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1538354

Have you checked freebmd for births for those 2 girls under Driscoll/Driskel?  It may be best to use Family Search as it does a less precise spelling check when searching
https://familysearch.org/search

Offline judy purssell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 April 15 18:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this Carole.  No, I didn't get the certificate for Ann/Evan because knowing her father's name wouldn't help would it?  I assumed that she was a widow, so having evidence of that wouldn't help much either.  I did get a certificate for David Driscoll born in 1875, but his mother was a lady called Elizabeth, and it gave no father's name.  If Daniel and Ann did get married in America, I doubt that I will get that info, so my only hope is to get the right David Driscoll's birth certificate.