Author Topic: Sarah Boswell / Bozwell  (Read 8076 times)

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Boswell / Bozwell
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Garstonite - I'd noted your post about that name and am going to head down that road with my research today. As I replied yesterday, the names of the travellers were often recorded with strange spellings, and at the census when the recorders came to the tents and caravans all sorts of different names/spellings etc were written down. Makes it challenging for sure! But as I said yesterday, I think you might have hit on the right lot with John and Eliza there
Price & Griffiths (Swansea), Horwood & Harris (Herts/Bucks), Robertson (Aberdeenshire/London), Vamplew (Lincolnshire /London),  Smith (Romani Travellers/BlackPatch), Greig (Aberdeenshire) Grimes (Norfolk)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:12 BST (UK) »
on my last post I have just added a possible marriage also in Nuneaton in 1757 - John Boswell / Elizabeth Orte ...now I have  to say Orte sounds like a travellers name ??...I will try and find out where the name Orte comes from ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:20 BST (UK) »
on Wiki - it states Boswell (see also Buswell ) so that confirms the 2 spellings
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boswell_%28surname%29

Orte  - looks to be German

https://www.houseofnames.com/orte-history/German
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 27 April 15 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks!  ;D I've just been looking at that marriage - it seems to fit, with Eliza given as the Mother's name for Sarah. My spidey sense says that feels right. Orte isn't a traveller name I've come across before (but Boswell is certainly a famous traveller name) I've checked it on the web resources I use for tracing the Romani part of my ancestors but can't find any mention of the name as being a common one. Mind you, it could be that her name was written (or given) incorrectly again! Or John may have broken with tradition and married outside the travelling community. Or, perhaps she'd come from a German based travelling family. Fascinating - thanks so much for all your help!
Price & Griffiths (Swansea), Horwood & Harris (Herts/Bucks), Robertson (Aberdeenshire/London), Vamplew (Lincolnshire /London),  Smith (Romani Travellers/BlackPatch), Greig (Aberdeenshire) Grimes (Norfolk)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 27 April 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
You're very welcome - it is a very interesting thread  :)
for the record - I can't find a birth for Elizabeth Orte in England at all ...

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 27 April 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
This non-conformist baptism at Kettering Northamptonshire might also be worth considering
Sarah Buswell 14 Jan 1773 parents John and Ann Buswell, she was 10 mnths old.
A lot of the baptisms on this page including Sarah's say "do Kettering public baptism"
I'm not sure why they would make a point about public baptisms, perhaps someone else will be able to clarify?
If the youngest child was born c1824 and Sarah had been born 1765 she would have been around 59 when that child was born.... not impossible but a later baptism for Sarah would make a bit more sense.  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carole Gomez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Rolnora. There's also the added complication of the "interchangability" of the parental roles in some of the groups. I think that having Sarah as "mother" in the census might not mean they're her biological children. It's a head scratcher  :-\

Offline rolnora

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:46 BST (UK) »
It's a head scratcher  :-\

But it's as garstonite said "a very interesting thread "
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile