Author Topic: David Scarlett NZMC died Sutton Coldfield 1921  (Read 4077 times)

Offline firefly74

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Scarlett NZMC died Sutton Coldfield 1921
« on: Sunday 26 April 15 22:44 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather’s brother David Scarlett was in the NZ Medical Corps during WWI. He was in and out of hospital with ear infections and the last time he was discharged he was based at Sutton Coldfield (then in Warwickshire, now part of Birmingham, I think). He arrived back in NZ and within a few months was on a ship back to England, arriving 1 Dec 1920. I found this newspaper article in the Tamworth Herald, 2 April 1921:

”On the report of the Sutton Coldfield Relief Committee Mr Felton referred to the case of David Scarlett, who he said was a New Zealand soldier and committed suicide. He was buried at Sutton Coldfield with due reverence in a private grave, and their officer attended"

I would like to find out what more I can about him and what happened to him. Firstly, does anyone know why he was at Sutton Coldfield? Was it an army base? What would he have been doing there? Was there still an NZ presence there in 1921, I wondered this because of the phrase “and their officer attended”.

I have a copy of his will which was written when he signed up, but it has no details about his death apart from that he died 18 March 1921. He left everything to a younger brother. I located his death on the GRO index and will order the certificate. Attached is a portion of his service record that mentions Sutton Coldfield.

Thank you

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Scarlett NZMC died Sutton Coldfield 1921
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 April 15 23:41 BST (UK) »
Yes NZ troops were stationed here ...also convalesced hopefully I've attached a pic.
He isn't on CWGC so may have been returning as a civilian.... maybe he met someone whilst stationed here... or he may have been missed if death cert says he was serving you could submit to CWGC for inclusion on debt of honour as it fits into CWGC cut off date.
Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline firefly74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 April 15 00:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ady

Thank you so much for that, that's quite a moving plaque. I was wrong that he went back within a few months, it was actually a year and a few months. He embarked for NZ in July 1919 NZ and was discharged 23/9/1919 when he arrived home. So he did return as a civilian, but even so from the newspaper article it sounds like he was given a burial with army presence.

I have also wondered if he had met someone and went back for her but she had moved on. Whatever happened, it's a sad story. Hopefully I can get more information from his death cert.

Thank you very much
Helen,

Offline Stephen Nulty

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 April 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
Helen

I would read the newspaper article as saying that an officer of the SC Relief Committee attended the funeral, and not an army officer.

Researching the men of Prescot, Lancashire, who fell in the Great War

Please visit my website at www.prescot-rollofhonour.info

Offline firefly74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 April 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, after reading it again I think you're right. That does make more sense!

Helen

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 April 15 09:55 BST (UK) »
There's a report of the inquest in the Leamington Spa Courier of 25 March 1921 "Inmate's Suicide at Hatton Asylum" on page 2. Insanity thought to be the result of a love affair.

Link to image on FindMyPast: http://search.findmypast.co.uk/bna/viewarticle?id=bl%2f0000635%2f19210325%2f045
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline firefly74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 April 15 10:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for finding the inquest! It makes for sad reading though, it sounds like he was heartbroken.

Thank you
Helen

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 April 15 11:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen

It's a bit of a long shot but Warwickshire Archives appear to have the records from Hatton Asylum, they might be able to help further although some things could be 'closed' until 2021 (100 years rule). They might open the records for you on production of the death certificate.

http://heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk/warwickshire-county-record-office/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline firefly74

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 April 15 19:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much, Dawn.  I will check it out.

Cheers
Helen