Author Topic: Trying to identify a town  (Read 10715 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to identify a town
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
Sarah appears to have two younger brothers

Clement baptised 21st May 1793 Bury

William baptised 14th October 1798. His parents are given as Clement and Sarah, but this is after Sarah's death. So either Clement married another Sarah or it was a late baptism.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 11:57 BST (UK) »
Clement Goodyer was the son of William and Ann and was baptised 14th April 1766 in Bury. He had a sister Sarah who was baptised 3rd July 1768. I wonder if this was the aunt your Sarah lived with, at the moment I can't see a marriage for her?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 12:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes I did have those. Clement remarried, but maybe Sarah didn't get on with her stepmother or maybe she went to live with the uncle and aunt as soon as Clement was widowed and then stayed on with them.
I have now found a burial for Sarah Humphrey in 1825 (birth year calc as 1791) and several children including a Mary of the correct age bapt by Robert and Sarah Humphrey in Bury. So it looks like I have the direct connection between Sarah and the person who deposited the diary at the record office.

The thing I would really like to know is who were the uncle and aunt. Clement had a brother and sister that I definitely know of. My 3 x great grandfather was the brother. She refers to an uncle William which could be him. William doesn't marry until 1807, so couldn't be the uncle she is living with. Clement's sister (also called Sarah) married John Coot in 1796, so that's a possibility.
The other possibilities are siblings of her mother (Sarah Young). She mentions deaths of Aunt Parlett and Aunt Lee, I think Aunt Parlett is Susanna Parlett wife of James Parlett and Aunt Lee is Jane Lee wife of  William, although if it is she is a few days out on date of death or the burial transcript is a few days wrong. If Susanna Parlett was same age as her husband approx, she could actually be a great aunt rather than an aunt.

Clement married Sarah Reed in Lyminster in 1796 - that caused me confusion too until I discovered he married two Sarahs.

added

big breakthrough!
found marriage of James Parlett and Susannah. She was Susannah Hammond they married in Bury on 9 Nov 1776. Now to connect her to Ann Hammond ( my 4 x great grandmother and Clement's mother)
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 12:49 BST (UK) »
I think some more pieces are fitting together.
She said an uncle died on 3rd July 1774. The only burial in Bury which fits is John Roberts who was buried on 6th July 1774.
And the aunt Lee, who looks from the burial record that she is Jane Lee wife of William: A William Lee married Jane Roberts in Coldwaltham in 1749. This is a bit earlier than I was originally looking at, so I think she actually means great uncles and aunts.

So now to find where Jane and John Roberts (presumably brother and sister) fit into the family.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 16:32 BST (UK) »
Don't discount the possibility that her aunt and uncle may have been brother and sister, the sister keeping house for the uncle.  This wasn't that uncommon until either married especially if their parents had died some time before when they were young and the sister had been keeping house for the brother since then.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 16:43 BST (UK) »
Yes that is a possibility I hadn't thought of. But as far as I know Sarah's father (Clement) had only one brother (William my 3x great grandfather) and Sarah who married in 1796. Sarah is my best candidate for the aunt and John Coot (her husband) to be the uncle. The aunt goes visiting with Aunt / Mrs Parlett, who I'm now sure is Sarah jnr's great aunt and would be Sarah (nee Goodyer) Coot's aunt.

I've calculated that the lady who deposited the diary at the record office was my 5th cousin, I think same generation without any removes. Strange as she was 45 years older than me!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 17:15 BST (UK) »
I've calculated that the lady who deposited the diary at the record office was my 5th cousin, I think same generation without any removes. Strange as she was 45 years older than me!

How lucky that she thought to do that, otherwise it might just have been thrown out when she died.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 17:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, I wonder how much does get thrown out because no-one thinks it's any use. Frightening!

Also lucky the catalogue on line from the Record office gave such a full description so I found it.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:55 BST (UK) »
Going back to London...

Leicester St and Swallow St were in the parish of St Anne, Soho and the street opposite the church which is now called Romilly St is marked as Church St on this old map

http://www.hrionline.ac.uk/strype/images/figures/810018-001.jpg

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge