Author Topic: 1841 census St Brides Major, Glamorgan  (Read 3794 times)

Offline maddison

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 census St Brides Major, Glamorgan
« on: Tuesday 28 April 15 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hello, could someone please look up Elizabeth Pearce [widow] on the 1841 census for St Brides Major?  Have been trying to find Elizabeth’s parents/birthplace.  All I have is that Elizabeth DEERE married William PIERCE at Llanmaes 21 April 1821.  First child born in Llanmaes and the other three were baptised at St Brides Major.
According to freebmd.uk her husband, William Pearce was buried 11 Jan 1837, St Brides Major, Glamorgan aged 38 yrs.  I believe she was still a widow at time 1841 census was taken and am hoping that the census may give an indication of her birthplace.  In 1851 Elizabeth was buried with William – her age given as 62 but that would mean she was nine years older than William – is that a possibility?  Would appreciate any help. Thanks, Maddison.
Hickey, Mulhare, Withers, Nixon, Bartlett, Chorley, Lomax, Latimer, Milton, Pearce, Donnelly, Crotty, Elphick, Hadley.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census St Brides Major, Glamorgan ce
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 12:16 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census will only tell you if she was born in the county or not ...
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census St Brides Major, Glamorgan
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 22:24 BST (UK) »
she's not obviously in the village - who are her children, as I think they may be scattered in the locality

Offline maddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 05:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Deidre784 I realise 1841 doesn't always give much info but thought it was worth a try. 
Thanks Mabel, I believe Elizabeth had 4 children: William, Thomas, Edward & David. Can’t find Elizabeth living with any of her children in 1841, or 1851 census. Think she had died before 1851 census taken.
1841 census: Think Edward Pierce age 15, ag labourer, is the one included in the census 1826-1841 for parish of St Brides Major - District 214.
1841 census: Believe Thomas bap/St Brides Major 1824 is the one living in Wick, near St Brides Major, employed as a servant. He enlisted in army in 1842 and by 1851 was in Australia. 
1851 census: William Pearce b/Llanmaes 1822, his wife Margaret, 2 children and also included in the same household was William’s brother, David Pearce, bap Aug 1829 St Brides Major – all were residing RHYDYFELIN
1861 census: Edward bap St Brides Major 1826 & Wife Rebecca & one son were residing at GWERNYGERWN
1861 census: David now married - & wife Mary & 2 children were residing TREFOREST
I had thought Elizabeth may be dau of Illtid and Anne Deere born 1801 but don’t think this is correct. Llanmaes baptisms have an Elizabeth, base dau of Anne Evan, bap/13 Sept 1789.  Free bmd have it at Llantwitt Major parish church - - file no 19700. But can’t find anything more on her – am I Clutching at straws?  Any suggestions appreciated, thanks Maddison.
Hickey, Mulhare, Withers, Nixon, Bartlett, Chorley, Lomax, Latimer, Milton, Pearce, Donnelly, Crotty, Elphick, Hadley.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 21:56 BST (UK) »
have yuo seen this

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3613924/ART1/elizabeth%20pearce

From 1848 - the Bridgend Labourer's Friend Society - first prize of £2 in the widows class goes to Elizabeth Pearce of  St Brides who, 15 years a widow, has brought up 4 children without parish relief. the youngest son was 3 when his father died.

So wherever she was in 1841, it wasn't the workhouse.

I notice David and Mary are in Middlesbrough by 1871 - you may be interested to note a birth announcement for a son born to the wife of David Pearce of Middlesbrough published in March 1869 in Y Gwladgarwr, a welsh language South Wales newspaper

Offline maddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 April 15 05:21 BST (UK) »
That’s great Mabel. Yes, I wondered if the family might have gone to the workhouse for a time. This brings the family to life and confirms that Elizabeth stayed in the area somewhere. Thanks, I didn’t know the Welsh newspaper was on line.
I knew that David & Edward had gone to Yorkshire but don’t have this child in 1869. Haven’t been able to access the birth notice yet.  Now I just have to go back to looking for Elizabeth's parents. Thanks, Maddison

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 April 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
The birth announcement is very small

http://welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/page/view/3299027/ART35

basically

Births....
... on March 3, the wife of Mr. David Pearce, Middlesbro- on-Tees, of a son

Offline maddison

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 May 15 06:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Mabel, thanks for transcribing the Welsh Newspaper notice re David Pearce’s son – you’re so lucky you can read Welsh. At least this tells me that although they were now in Middlesbrough they seem to have kept in touch with family in Glamorgan. Maddison.