Author Topic: Ancestry DNA results  (Read 8276 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA results
« on: Tuesday 28 April 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
I've just received my results and am fairly bemused  at the moment. They are:

Irish:39%
Western Europe:35%
Great Britain:22%
Iberian Peninsula:2%
European Jewish:1%
Italy/Greece:<1%
One of my paternal grandparents was  Irish, and there's a bit of Irish on my mother's side, but most of the lines for the other 3 grandparents are English. I'm guessing that the Western European may be explained by the fact that quite a lot of my mother's family came from Suffolk and south Lincolnshire  - Anglo Saxon influence? But how far back are these tests looking? eg could Iberian Peninsula be early  migration into Ireland, or much later shipwrecked Armada ships? (My Dad always reckoned that was the explanation of his very dark colouring!). Is Great Britain indicative of pre-Roman, pre-Anglo Saxon ancestry?
The matches I've looked at so far are disappointing: I can find no obvious links as far as surname or area are concerned, even though I've got my lines fairly complete to 4 or 5 generations.
A distant Canadian cousin (we think) did the test at the same time. We met through Ancestry, have the same surname and our families come from the same part of Northern Ireland. She's done the work on the Irish side of the family, but hasn't been able to definitely prove the link between us because of the gaps in the Irish records. Her test result is totally different, with only 10% Irish and an above-average Great Britain score, which seems bizarre, given that she knows for sure that her family is Irish. Might it indicate Scottish emigration to Ireland? (though the surname is  Irish, not Scots).
The test has posed far more questions than its answered, but nevertheless it's fascinating. I've wanted to do this for years, but have had to wait for the cost to come down.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA results
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 18:17 BST (UK) »
If you join gedmatch.com (its free) you can download your results there and get alternative analysis which may or may not confirm what Ancestry told you. It has a few other tools too that you can play with
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 18:36 BST (UK) »
If you join gedmatch.com (its free) you can download your results there and get alternative analysis which may or may not confirm what Ancestry told you. It has a few other tools too that you can play with

Thanks David. I've just uploaded the results onto GEDmatch and FTDNA: I'll decide whether to pay for the latter when I see what they send me.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:26 BST (UK) »
Apparently GEDmatch is running at 7-10 days, but I've had results from FTDNA. There weren't many matches - less than two pages - but they're closer than the Ancestry ones, 2nd-4th cousin, and I can actually identify which branch of the family is involved for some of the entries. Still all in the US though, which is disappointing, though there's a branch of my mother's family that it might be interesting to follow up and another lead for the Irish branch who are proving so elusive. However I'll wait and see what GEDmatch produces, as $39 seems a lot for the number of matches available.

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
The FTDNA free transfer only gives the first 20 matches. There should be a lot more if you unlock.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 19:35 BST (UK) »
Ah, thankyou for that. I may go ahead then, but I'll look at  the GEDmatch ones first. I've also noticed that one of the FTDNA matches has names in common with an Ancestry match, which is a good sign!

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 20:54 BST (UK) »
I've been keeping watch on ancestry dna as i sent a sample on the 19th and today has just been arrived, i wanted to make sure it had got there. I also did a family finder on the 16 th april with ftdna, I had both done so i can compare results against each other as i 'd heard different things about database sizes and ethnic mix etc. I had the ftdna one done at the wdytya live show and bought the ancestry one back. There was offers on at the show. I presume they posted the ftdna one.

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 20:57 BST (UK) »
I've been keeping watch on ancestry dna as i sent a sample on the 19th and today has just been arrived, i wanted to make sure it had got there. I also did a family finder on the 16 th april with ftdna, I had both done so i can compare results against each other as i 'd heard different things about database sizes and ethnic mix etc.

It'll be very interesting to see how the two compare - you must let us know I was wondering what result I'd get if I tried a different test. I'll wait and see how yours come out!

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:15 BST (UK) »
Yes i'll keep you informed. It says 6-8 weeks at the moment.I think they said the same for ftdna. I thought it made sense with all i was hearing. I'd been thinking about it for a bit. I went to the show in mind of the offers.Sat in a talk about the pobi project on ethnicity and comparing british dna to european. They seem to be able to pick out some distinct dna for certain areas but unfortunately staffordshire was n't mentioned! Ftdna seemed to be keen on herding people in and out of talks , even getting people to move up. Both the ancestry and ftdna  stand seemed to be doing good business on day 1 and so can only be good for the database.