Author Topic: Joseph Merrett Goatman b 1817  (Read 5041 times)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joseph Merrett Goatman b 1817
« on: Tuesday 28 April 15 21:47 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me to track Joseph down please? I don't know much about him, except that I believe he was the son of Annbenjamin Merrett b 1786 Churchdown, Glos, and possibly Samuel Goatman b 1792 in Ashleworth, Glos. As far as I can work it out Ann and Samuel were married 5 Nov 1820, 3 years after Joseph was born. I suspect that he may not be Samuel's son, but Ann's, taking the Goatman name after they were married, but that is pure supposition. He was probably born in Churchdown, as Ann and Samuel lived there during their younger years. I've traced the other children but can't find any births for either Joseph Merrett or Joseph Merrett Goatman, or even Joseph Goatman, that fit with the birth year. I think that came off a census, but so long ago I can't remember which one!! Many thanks in advance to anyone who attempts to help  ;D
Keddie, Hutson - Scottish Borders and Edinburgh
Menzies, Montague - Penicuik and Castle Douglas
McEvoy, Cavanagh - Ireland

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Merrett Goatman b 1817
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 22:15 BST (UK) »
What about this entry on Family Search?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTMY-LF4

He is on the 1851 census as Merritt and in the military so that is the surname he was known as.  I would think it follows that was his birth surname  HO107 Piece 1632 Folio 225 Page 13
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 April 15 22:25 BST (UK) »
Well that might do it  ;D

Thank you very much CaroleW - I've spent ages on FamilySearch and didn't find that !!!

Cheers

Sue

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 08:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,
I can confirm the marriage of Samuel GOATMAN of St Catherine, Gloucester to Ann MERRETT at St John the Baptist, Gloucester, 5th November 1820, by Banns.
I am unable to trace the baptism of a Joseph GOATMAN or MERRETT/MERRITT c.1817.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 08:26 BST (UK) »
What about this entry on Family Search?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTMY-LF4

It gives the baby's sex as female  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 12:09 BST (UK) »
Ooops!!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suek2075

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 13:10 BST (UK) »
Gosh, went to sleep thinking my mystery was solved and overnight the family history fairies have visited and... my mystery is still  a mystery  ;D

Thank you all for your help and your time.

Carole, I overlooked the 'female' bit last night as well. Luckily Rosie is on the ball!

Victor, thank you, I have the marriage details and baptism details of all the other children, just can't seem to tie in Joseph with Annbenjamin (also known around the web as Ann B, although she is Annbenjamin on her baptism details).

I have seen a lot of detail for Joseph (sometimes called Joseph William Merritt/Merrett), including his military history, but I can't find anything to really tie him in with Samuel Goatman and Annbenjamin or to prove his date of birth. 

The birth/marriage details imply to me that he is not Samuel's son, so is not 'officially' a Goatman although he may have been part of the family. I have always seen his birth shown as 'abt 1817' so no one else seems to have found a birth either.

Samuel and Annbenjamin died in Utah, along with some of their children, after becoming mormons. I haven't found any mention of Joseph in Utah though, so it is quite likely that the soldier who died in Farnborough is the same Joseph Merritt - I would just like to be able to prove it but can't think how else to do it. Maybe he will have to remain one of my 'question marks'   ???

Thank you all for your interest and help, it is much appreciated. If the Rootschat sleuths can't trace him either then I can at least be sure the information I need is not readily available and I'm just missing it  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 15:14 BST (UK) »

Carole, I overlooked the 'female' bit last night as well. Luckily Rosie is on the ball!

It might be worth looking at the original in case FS has wrongly transcribed it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline giggsycat

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 April 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
That baptism was at Holy Trinity, Stapleton which is in Bristol.  :-*