Author Topic: Alexander Ross JACK  (Read 7099 times)

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Ross JACK
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 May 15 13:38 BST (UK) »
Should it read Fordyce? I suggest Joy now searches the 1911 census on scotlandspeople for Alexander. There are a few who could be him.
flst
Yes I would say Fordyce  :)

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 May 15 13:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone :) As flst says it should indeed be Fordyce but Maggie consistently

gives her POB as Banff Banffshire. I have all the Jack F/history, Alexander is the only stumbling

block. I am still checking and rechecking the 1911 census but cannot definitively identify him. He

must be there somewhere unless he emigrated. He is not in the CWGC database and I checked

all entries for 'JACK'...took me ages. In the 1901 census that Jen and Rosie found Maggie says

she was born Nairn so why would she suddenly change. The info for Alexander is correct if the

second initial was indeed meant to be 'R'. Naturally, I checked SP and I don't think anyone could

say definitely it was meant to be 'R'. I'm not disparaging the finds...just thinking out loud :D

I'm very grateful for the extra help...so thank you all

Cheers

Joy

Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 May 15 13:57 BST (UK) »
There are quite a few Alexander Jacks/Alex Jack on the immigration lists but it is trying to find the right one as not much information on them ...And I would say Nairn is in Inverness

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 May 15 15:56 BST (UK) »
I would say Nairn is in Inverness

I did a search of an old map starting with Nairnshire…….

to the left is Inverness-shire to the right is Elginshire & to the right of Elginshire is Banffshire

So Nairn is a very long distance from Banff.

I did wonder if they bordered each other but my theory was wrong  ::)

http://www.scotlandsfamily.com/parish-map-aberdeen.htm

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 May 15 20:40 BST (UK) »
I would say Nairn is in Inverness

I'm afraid you would be incorrect in saying that.

Historically, the town of Nairn is in the parish of Nairn in the County of Nairn aka Nairnshire. It is not in the town of Inverness, the parish of Inverness or the county of Inverness aka Inverness-shire.

The village of Fordyce is 48 miles east from the town of Nairn (the opposite direction to Inverness, which is west of Nairn). That's a two-day walk, but in the late 19th century there was a train service which would have put them within two or three hours' reach of one another.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 May 15 23:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone :)

I've been back to the 1851 and 1861 census where I can definitely place Maggie with her
parents...she was born in FORDYCE Banffshire. So, neither Nairn nor Banff...the 1851 information
was given by her mother (Lewis was in Turriff at that time)and they were living in Cullen Banffshire
then. Presumably, the 1861 census information was given by Lewis and they were in Kintore Aberdeenshire, but they both state clearly Fordyce.

Maggie died 3 Jun 1923 in Dunoon Argyll aged 74 informant was her sister Eliza Jack McVicar, so
Alexander cannot have been around then. Alexander is not with Maggie in the 1911 census but now I'm not sure that the 1911 is the correct Maggie Jack as POB is Banff.

This is becoming confusing ;) Further help/advice gratefully received :)

Cheers

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 May 15 23:37 BST (UK) »
I've been back to the 1851 and 1861 census where I can definitely place Maggie with her
parents...she was born in FORDYCE Banffshire. So, neither Nairn nor Banff

I used my reference & map above to highlight the differing info.............

Maggie Tack.. Head  age 51 born Nairn Banffshire

Maggie consistently gives her POB as Banff Banffshire.

This is a good way of weighing up theories & great when an area is unknown territory so glad it was useful  ;D

Anne Marie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 May 15 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann Marie

Thank you very much for your help 8) all information is useful even if only

to discount previous certainties :)

Cheers

Joy

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 04 May 15 09:05 BST (UK) »
These references to Banff, Banffshire. Are they from the original census images, or from transcriptions?

Suppose that Maggie told the enumerator that she was from Banff, meaning the county, and that that is what the enumerator wrote down. Then along comes a transcriber, sees 'Banff' and assumes (because the census always asks for parish of birth) that it means 'parish of Banff' and then adds 'Banffshire' to make it more complete? Stranger things have happened in transcriptions!

Also that one transcribed as 'Nairn, Banffshire'. Have you seen the original?

There's always the possibility of enumerator error. I have a family where the wife is missing from the census. The husband is there, with the wife's birthplace, not his own. I eventually concluded that when the enumerator was copying the information from the Schedule into the book, he managed to miss out the end of the husband's line, and most of the wife's, turning two people into one.

'Hecks boarders' is probably a mistranscription of the usual phrase 'Keeps boarders' or possibly 'Takes boarders'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.