Author Topic: Fanny WELLS. Family history missing for biracial great grandmother, Australia  (Read 23247 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny WELLS. Family history missing for biracial great grandmother, Australia
« Reply #162 on: Monday 11 May 15 06:55 BST (UK) »
Just another bit of info Wendy...according to a newspaper obituary on Fanny's mother Mary Wells nee Werry , (accessed courtesy of Cando  :) thanks!) she died of Consumption....I think that her child Ada Abigail died not too very long before her and now wonder if that was from Consumption as well.

All from this thread

Marriages Sep 1841   
WARRAY Henry   Redruth  9/277
ARTHUR Elizabeth    Redruth 9/277

Birth
WARRAY Mary
Father Henry  Mother Elizabeth
At Collingwood  1850  Reg#26682
Denomination Church of England, Parish St Peter's, Melbourne  Fiche#390

Death
WELLS Mary Elizabeth
Father Henry WERREY  Mother Elizabeth AURTHUR
At Port Melbourne  39 years  1891  Reg#3365

Death of Ada, the child.

WELLS  Ada Abigail
Father Wm Hy Harrison
Mother Mary WERREY
Age 17M
Death Place WARRAGUL
Year 1883
Reg 3690

= 8 years

I can't help wondering if any note is being taken of the information offered by helpers here 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fanny WELLS. Family history missing for biracial great grandmother, Australia
« Reply #163 on: Monday 11 May 15 07:04 BST (UK) »

Her mother died when she was quite a  young child and she was only 15 when her father died in 1902 so I can see that she might have had no one to turn to.
Karen

From this thread

Death
WELLS William Henry Harrison
Father Unknown  Mother Unknown
At Melbourne South  1902  72 years  Reg#6658

Birth of Fanny
WELLS  Fanny
Father William Henry
Mother Mary WERREY
Birth Place WARR
Year 1884
Reg  21361

= 18

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Monday 11 May 15 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Kasden
  I have three records and all have different maiden names she has put down Wells, Turner and Weesey (Werrey).  Fanny also says she was born in Gippsland, Victoria.  I have looked up BDM no records there with those names that make any sense.  w. Wendy.

Perfect sense
Birth of Fanny
WELLS Fanny
Father William Henry
Mother Mary WERREY
Birth Place WARR
Year 1884
Reg  21361

EDIT to enlarge below

You do understand don't you, that Warragul is in Gippsland

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Monday 11 May 15 07:18 BST (UK) »
I am just looking at some of my own family papers.   

I have NSW ancestors where the girls were working fulltime by age 14 in the 1870s, and their daughters/granddaughters, nieces, etc were working fulltime at similar ages in the 1890s, 1900s, 1910s, even in the 1940s there's lasses at age 14, working fulltime.   

So, I think there's no reason to be concerned that there was no one to turn to in 1902 when her father died.   I think she would already be quite in charge of her life at that stage. 

TURNER , Frances.
63 Rathdowne Street, Carlton
H Duties
No others of the surname
Sue

Sands & McDougall Victorian Directory 1904
CARLTON
Rathdown Street
63 PRINGLE Miss J. M. Trained nurses' home and private hospital.

Cando

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Monday 11 May 15 08:04 BST (UK) »
I have three records and all have different maiden names she has put down Wells, Turner and Weesey (Werrey).  She also has named her father as being James Wells? So definitely born a Wells. Fanny also says she was born in Gippsland, Victoria.  I have looked up BDM no records there with those names that make any sense.

We have given you Fanny/Frances birth at Warragul in 1884.  She is named on both her parents' death certificates. Her mother's maiden name was WERREY not hers.

I don't really know what to say as you appear to be ignoring the information that has been given to you from the Victorian BDM CD [not online but the information is the same]. 

Fanny wasn't honest when registering the 1910 birth.  Having an illegitimate child was probably awkward enough in that era but giving information to the local registrar it would appear that Fanny opted to give inaccurate information.  Of course the local registrar may have misunderstood her.  All that aside Fanny gave birth to a son in 1910 and as there is absolutely no evidence of any marriage, the child was illegitimate.  Just because she gave the registrar a name Henry Alfred WELLS, doesn't mean he existed....after all she said she was Frances TURNER before she 'married' Mr WELLS ::).  She was 26 years old in 1910 and would surely have known what she was doing.  Perhaps only she knows why she named her father James instead of Wm on her marriage cert. ::) ::)

To fellow chatters following this thread...I have found quite a lot of information about Wm H H WELLS Snr.  I emailed it to Karen as to post it here would have only further confused Wendy.

Wm was a hairdresser [marriage cert], dyer, clothes cleaner and repairer [probably his wife who was a seamstress], nightman, carter and market gardener. All this about Wm H H really has no bearing at the moment as I am more concerned that Wendy is having a problem understanding the birth, place and parents of Fanny.  It is all on the thread. 

Warragul is in GIPPSLAND.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dean.wendy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Monday 11 May 15 08:36 BST (UK) »
Karen
I will send those photos through to you no problems, once I have done that can you send me through your ones.
I sat down today and printed all the information and am piecing it all together for me to get my head around, so it is all very exciting that finally the family will gave some long awaited answers.
Be in touch.

Offline dean.wendy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Monday 11 May 15 08:40 BST (UK) »
I have three records and all have different maiden names she has put down Wells, Turner and Weesey (Werrey).  She also has named her father as being James Wells? So definitely born a Wells. Fanny also says she was born in Gippsland, Victoria.  I have looked up BDM no records there with those names that make any sense.

We have given you Fanny/Frances birth at Warragul in 1884.  She is named on both her parents' death certificates. Her mother's maiden name was WERREY not hers.

I don't really know what to say as you appear to be ignoring the information that has been given to you from the Victorian BDM CD [not online but the information is the same]. 

Fanny wasn't honest when registering the 1910 birth.  Having an illegitimate child was probably awkward enough in that era but giving information to the local registrar it would appear that Fanny opted to give inaccurate information.  Of course the local registrar may have misunderstood her.  All that aside Fanny gave birth to a son in 1910 and as there is absolutely no evidence of any marriage, the child was illegitimate.  Just because she gave the registrar a name Henry Alfred WELLS, doesn't mean he existed....after all she said she was Frances TURNER before she 'married' Mr WELLS ::).  She was 26 years old in 1910 and would surely have known what she was doing.  Perhaps only she knows why she named her father James instead of Wm on her marriage cert. ::) ::)

To fellow chatters following this thread...I have found quite a lot of information about Wm H H WELLS Snr.  I emailed it to Karen as to post it here would have only further confused Wendy.

Wm was a hairdresser [marriage cert], dyer, clothes cleaner and repairer [probably his wife who was a seamstress], nightman, carter and market gardener. All this about Wm H H really has no bearing at the moment as I am more concerned that Wendy is having a problem understanding the birth, place and parents of Fanny.  It is all on the thread. 

Warragul is in GIPPSLAND.

Cando

Hi Cando thank you for all the information I haven't been ignoring it just trying to get my head around all there is. I have printed it all out and now feel like the family will get some long awaited answers. I did not know that Warragul was in Gippsland so thank you for clearing that up. Thank you for all other info. Wendy