Author Topic: Tennent  (Read 2717 times)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tennent
« on: Wednesday 29 April 15 23:44 BST (UK) »
 Can someone help me with this please. I know that Alexander Thomson married Mary Tennent in 1845.Mary's father was Alexander Tennent and I think she was an only child.They had a son John Tennent Thomson born 1847.Mary died about 1854.Alexander remarried but, did he marry an Elizabeth Tennent or an Elizabeth Murphy?I can't work out which of the two of them was his second wife.On the 1861 and the 1871 censuses there is an Alexandrina Tennent living with them and I can't work out her relationship to the family.This all takes place in Glasgow,Alexander was a journeyman baker. Any help much appreciated.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tennent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 April 15 06:31 BST (UK) »
Alexandrina Tennent is listed in the census as his sister in law had a few credits and looked up the marriage for Alexandrina
Alexandrina Tennent age 28 fancy box maker father Charles Tennent ( stay maker master )
Mother Jane Lucas ? mother deceased..  married 26/4/1876 at 26,Grove Street Glasgow
James Morrison age 32 plasterer both living at 32.Hophill Terrace  Maryhill
Witness Mary Thompson and Alexander Watson ...if you pm your e-mail address will send you a copy

You will probably have to look for a marriage for Alexander Thompson

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 April 15 07:36 BST (UK) »
Alexander remarried but, did he marry an Elizabeth Tennent or an Elizabeth Murphy?I can't work out which of the two of them was his second wife.
Where did you find the two possible spouses? If it was anywhere other than www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits and look up the marriages. You could also look for Alexander's death certificate which should list the names of both/all of his wives.

On the 1861 and the 1871 censuses there is an Alexandrina Tennent living with them and I can't work out her relationship to the family.
Where did you find the census? Was it a transcription? Because the originals, available online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, tell you the relationships of household members to the head of the household.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 May 15 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help,yes I will get some Scotland's People credits to confirm who the 2nd wife was.This is my cousin's family.I have been helping her research it.It's been quite a journey! I'll let you know what I find.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 May 15 21:01 BST (UK) »
On the census on Ancestry it also gives the relationship of each person in the house.Alexandrina,as you say,was put as sister in law.Being a Tennent she had to be related to Alexander,so,did Alex have a brother Charles? Sister in law didn't always mean what we know today.I hope Scotland's People gives me the answers.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 May 15 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi sandyjose

The name of Mary Tennent's father, Alexander, came from the 1844 OPR entry of marriage? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTB9-M4B

Have you looked at the possible re- marriage you mention for Alexander on SP to an Elizabeth Tennent? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTY6-X8Q  This marriage cert should show Alexander as a widower, if the correct entry and an occupation matching what you mention.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 May 15 21:51 BST (UK) »
...Being a Tennent she had to be related to Alexander,so,did Alex have a brother Charles? Sister in law didn't always mean what we know today....

Alexander was a Thomson. Alexandrina either connects to Mary Tennent or if correct, second wife Elizabeth Tennent.

Monica

Offline Birnro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 January 24 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Thomson and Mary Tennent were married on 9th February 1844 in Glasgow Parish. Alexander later married Elizabeth Tennant on 1st October 1858: this marriage took place at Regent Terrace, Glasgow. The 1858 marriage registration mentions that Elizabeth was a widow and mentions that her parents were Charles “Tennant” staymaker (deceased) and Margaret “Tennant”, maiden name Lucas (deceased).

I haven’t yet managed to track down any death record for either Alexander, Mary or Elizabeth on the ScotlandsPeople website but suspect that they died in the Calton or Bridgeton registration districts  of Glasgow.

John Thomson was born on 12 June 1846 (not in 1845) in Glasgow Parish. John was my two times great grandfather.  However, neither his OPR birth record, his marriage registration (1871 marriage to Mary Kyle Greer) nor his death registration give his full name as “John Tennent Thomson”.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 January 24 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Birnro

A possible death on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for Elizabeth, second wife of Alexander:

ELIZABETH THOMSON or TENNANT
Age 49
Mother's maiden name LEUCHARS
644 / 4 / 713
Calton (Glasgow)

There are two possible deaths for an Alexander Thomson in Calton in 1886 and 1889. Have you viewed any of these to discount them?

What was the maiden name of Alexander's mother?

Alexander and Elizabeth are on the 1881 census in Calton area. Can't easily see them after this date on the later censuses.

Monica